Any males suffering with IC?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any males who have been diagnosed with IC and if so what are your main symptoms.

I have been suffering with BPH, and all of the associated trouble with that, for about 5 years now and was given Tamsulosin, initially, and then Finasteride in combination.  When I was finally refered to a urologist a year ago he thought that my main symptoms, as I described them to him, could be down to an overactive bladder and so he added Mirabegron to the cocktail.

The Mirabegron has helped in cutting down on the frequency, it was about every 40 minutes, but it has not really improved the almost constant stinging/burning/ general discomfort I feel 'between the legs'.

I have put myself on quite a strict 'IC diet' and found quite a bit of releif, but not total, when I cut out Soya which I found I was inadvertantly eating in shop bought bread.

I would be interested to hear from any males who have IC and, perhaps, BPH and in how you got your diagnosis.

By best wishes to all, not forgetting the ladies, who are suffering from any sort of urinary discomfort.

Thank you and take care.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I am a 62 year old male

For 17 years I have been under the impression that I had prostatitis, but after recently having a bladder biopsy I have been told I have interstitial cystitis. I only thought women got this illness? I have been told that i need bladder instillations which have a 70 % cure rate I am not sure if I should have them, this illness is making me depressed

Michael

• Posted

Hello Michael,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to my post.

I am sorry to hear of your 17 year struggle with this condition and I sympathise with you. From what I have read about it it used to be thought that only women had this condition but in recent years it has been acknowledged that either sex can suffer with it although getting it diagnosed doesn't appear to have got any easier. At least you have finally got a diagnosis which, I beleive, can be a 'relief' in itself.

As mentioned I am being treated for BPH and overactive bladder but, from what I have read about IC I am beginning to think that I might be suffering from the condition.

What I am trying to find out, from a male who has had such a diagnosis, is exactly how the 'pain' of IC manifests itself because most of the articles I have read describe the symptoms as specific to females.

Are you currently taking any medications for IC? What effect are they having? How recently were you diagnosed? Do you have BPH or IBS? Do you find what you eat or drink makes a difference and, if so, what things do you avoid? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions but I feel so confused with it all and, like you, can get quite depressed at times.

Once again, thank you for your reply.

Do take good care of yourself.

Best wishes,

Steve,

• Posted

Hello

When I was diagnosed with prostatitis I was put on I long period of ciproxin and after 1 ½ years the symptoms, frequency and burning died down, but over the years I have had flare ups lasting weeks but then dying down again but I am told that interstitial cystitis as a habit of going months or years subdued then flaring up again

In 2015 I thought I had a other flare up, frequency burning and feeling of wanting to pee, after going to the docs numerous times I eventually had in November of last year a cystoscopy with hydro distention and bladder biopsy, last Wednesday I finally got the results typical NHS waiting time, I was told that from the bladder biopsy I have interstitial cystitis,

I have BHP I take tamsulosin, I also have IBS and diverticulosis tried all sorts for this but nothing helps

I have cut down a lot on alcohol, this made me pee a lot

I have just started on marshmallow pills and calcium citrate pills I will try anything but past experience tells me they probably won’t work

You can down load from IC forums on the internet a diet sheet

I will persevere till September then I suppose I will have to try bladder instillations which is once a week for 6 weeks then once a month for 3 months

• Posted

hello again

?i have no pain just frequency and feeling the need to pee and burning feeling in the groin area and penis

from one incurable illness prostatitis to a other incurable illness interstitiial cystitis

?i am going on holiday tomorrow couple days up scotland i don't know how this will go

michael

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.