Any one else 18 years old and on Ramipril

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am a female aged 18 and I have been on Ramipril for around 3 months now. I have raised blood pressure and it is to dangerously high for me to carry on without medication. I have no side effects but when I saw my new doctor (I have moved doctors) he told me I shouldnt be on it at this age and I am worried it may make me infertile??? Anyone else out there same age as me and on Ramipril 5mg per day??? And if yes anyone have high blood pressure, had all the tests and the reason why you have high blood pressure still unknown like myself??

Jo

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You are very young to have blood pressure high enough to need medication. I would ask my doctor to look for a cause. Usually essential hypertension, that is high blood pressure without a known cause, happens to older people.

I don't know about infertility but if you are pregnant or are trying to become pregnant, you shouldn't be on Ramipril as it may cause birth defects.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I am aware I am very young to be on medication but I need it to keep it low. I have been to hospital and had an ecg, echo on my heart, kidney and bladder scan, numerous blood tests, 24 hour blood pressure machine worn at home and urine samples. Apparently there is absolutly no cause at all and I am fit and healthy apart from the issue of having high blood pressure, they were hoping to find the cause but as they couldnt they put me on medication. sad Are you young like myself rhiannon 7?

• Posted

No, I'm not young. I'm 68 but I've always had high normal blood pressure until my 40s when it began to creep up. A few years ago it got really bad and I tried to control it with life-style changes but was unsuccessful and now have been on medication for the last month or so. Ramipril is working brilliantly for me. I have had a few side effects but they are wearing off.
  • Posted

I'm 32 , so also not totally old wink

I've had high blood pressure for about 3 years now and it did worsen after I gave birth to my daughter 2 years ago. I just started taking this drug (my first day today!). I've been through thousands of checks and they cant seem to find the reason behind my high BP, I'm very healthy, slim, hate junk food , cook well (and healthy), athletic, I swim, run, ride horses... I'm a mystery to all the doctors wink

My liver is brilliant, all the blood tests come back great, heart is great too.

I'm puzzled.

Feels kinda weird to be on this medication at my age.

Maybe I'm an alien?... wink

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm a 37 year old woman and have been on bp medication for five years...probably had hypertension before that - I was always borderline even in my teens. In my case, it's probably related to PCOS, which is one of the prime reasons very young women have very high bp, and having had lots of stress in my life (a mother with progressive MS). It is a complete myth that hypertension is a problem of old age - there are LOTs of young people with high bp so please don't feel like you're an alien. There are all kinds of reasons people of all ages develop hypertension (and it's most likely to be hereditary if you're young)...but think it's thought of as something relating to old age as bp naturally rises as people age. It's good that it's been identified and you can manage it the rest of your life to avoid awful damage being done to your body, so it's a positive thing. :D

• Posted

I was 16 when I first started taking blood pressure medication. They did all the tests and there is nothing wrong with me, I just have high blood pressure (as have most of the females in my dad's side of the family).

I am 31 now and still taking it but had a few years without it in my 20s but it got too high again. My doctor has said I am at the stage again when I can look at stopping it again as it is well controlled and I am only on 1.25mg so I should be ok without it

• Posted

About 4 weeks ago, a random [had had a migraine for over 48 hours and was getting a little concerned] BP test showed that I was in quite a bad way, 230/140. I was kept in hospital, in total, for 13 days, whilst they did every type of scan known to man, echos, blood tests, ecgs, 24 urine etc etc. I too lead a healthy and active lifestyle. All tests came back negative, and thankfully everything thing looked at is working fine.

I have been on 10mg Amlodopine, 4mg [morning] and 2mg [evening] Doxazosin and 2.5mg of Bendroflumethiazide for 3 weeks now. It's helped a little, BP now between 150-170 over 70-100. GP thinks we can do better with Ramipril and is likely to prescribe.

By the looks of it, essential hypertension is more common in young adults than people think. They have concluded that I have had undetected high blood pressure for many years, because the walls of the heart [left side, I think] are thicker than they should be.

37yo male.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.