Any one else have a rod in femur during TKR?

Posted , 6 users are following.

October will be three years since my TKR and I had a rod inserted in my femur at that time along with the larger implants. I have so much pain in the thigh where the rod is. My doctor says that is not something that should happen but has no explanation and tells me to just live it. It is at the point where even walking a slow mile is very painful. I am only 53 and not overweight.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this Suzy. Get a second opinion. Go armed with all scans and x-rays and demand solutions. Surgeons need to be proactive in improving our quality of life. Not good enough to just operate without explaining repercussions. Were you bones unable to sustain the knee device? Why the rod? Were you told you might be in pain for a long time. I wasn't warned of the 16 month recovery length. But I had no alternative as I was crippled with arthritis. Stay focused and seek help. x

• Posted

Is it muscular pain?  Did they do an MRI?  I have thigh pain too, which I have a problem standing up and sitting down, going down stairs, etc.  I do my exercises, but it doesn't feel any better.  It will be 9 months since my last TKR, I had the other one done 2 mo. before, but have been told it takes a year or more.  Pills don't help much either.  I think they put a small rod in, when they do it, but not positive.  I am 65.

• Posted

I truly think it's time for a second opinion! No one deserves that kind of response when pain is interfering with life!

• Posted

I'm perplexed.  The surgeon inserted that rod and larger implants but said that it's not something that should happen? Weird!  Get a second opinion 

• Posted

Suzy - my mother has a rod in her femur bone after she fell in 2009 and shattered her prostectic knee, fractured her femer and tibia bone. She has had a knee replacement in 2004 was doing great until she in fell in 2009.  I had a TKR last year, but I don't have a rod. Is something that you probably need to investigate a little further.  Wish the best of luck. J-21370

• Posted

The doctors explanation for the rod was after he put in the orginal device he discovered that it would not be stable due to a prior sugery from 1980. ( I did not an ACL and some other tendons). He then had to remove the device and put in the rod ( took him along time to put it in because of a screw that already there) and put in the longer implant.

I did go see another orthopedic doctor and he just brushed me off too. My insurance is not that great so I am hesitant to see anyone new and get expensive tests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.