Any one have shin pain or pain going up inside of leg/knee area?

Posted , 6 users are following.

RA for 4 years but none of the drugs seem to help and this pain is advanceing up my legs. tests done: ultrasound, x-rays, bld tests, bone scan but nothing shows up. Presently on Humira, for 2 yrs.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was on Levaquin for three days, four years ago. I lost power in my legs and they are painful to the touch. They never get better. Levaquin denied that they were the cause. I know it was. RA does not give me leg pains. I think your pain is probably from the med. No doctor will ever agree with you but it is pretty logical to me. The Methotrexate weakend my legs so badly that I could not get out of the bathrub. After three weeks off Meth, I can get right out of the tub. Now I am back on Meth because the RA pain has returned. I miss my baths.
  • Posted

I haven't had this , but just wondered if you d had RA pain in your feet/ ankles a lot? Thinking changes in your feet might affect the way you walk and could this have a knock on effect? Just guessing really- but you seem to have come to a dead end so a visit to podiatrist might be worth it.
  • Posted

RA normally just hits the joints. So could this be something altogether different?
  • Posted

Hi Heather. Sorry to hear of your pains. My own experience of shin pain came from the RA degeneration of my kneyes. For about three years I had what I called shin splint pain all down the front of my lower legs together with pain and swelling intermittently in my knees. I have had both knees replaced in the last 9 months and the shin splint pain had gone. This is just my experience.

RA for 18 yrs since 30 yrs of age. Currently on meths enbrel etc. Hope you get some relief soon. Best wishes, Deb.

• Posted

Hi H., did you try to go off Humira and see if it makes any difference? In my case, Humira increased pain in most joints and specifically fingers and knees (pain which I have as long as I remember anyway). On Humira, while I was VERY active in general, I could not bend my knees at all, go upstairs without support or else. Imagine a TRX class 3 times a week where I could run better than kids half my age but couldn't do any knee related exercises... Or walking 4-5 miles but unable to go up 30 stairs at once. So Humira did help, but it's side effect was less than welcome. After I got off Humira (bad blood tests, nothing knee/pain related! Not even sure if it was Humira related too or just an artifact of some silly antibiotics I took with it) the first month or two I was in constant pain all over the body. BUT - I managed to sit without silently gasping after only two or three weeks off. Humira increased pain all over the body to the point that I used to cry at nights waking up from pain. Not that RA (AS and some other in my case) is better, but speaking from experience, Humira made it worse. Although the back did not hurt half as bad as without it... Consult your dr before you decide on doing anything drastic - what worked for one might not work for another..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.