Any one in mid 40s with both knees replaced I have 1 done going in for #2 Just looking for some advi

Posted , 7 users are following.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 55 and had my right knee done April of 2018 & about to get my left knee done in May of this year. I guess we're both in the same boat... I'll be anxious to hear the replies to your post.

• Posted

Deeruss63

I go in February 13 for left knee tkr, I'm not looking forward to it. The long recovery makes it hard to deal with. As my daughter told me before my first tkr, I should consider myself lucky that it can be fixed. I then realized how right she was.

• Posted

Hi Cuda!

I am in my early 40s. I had my left knee done Oct 2018 and just had my rt knee done Jan 2 2019.

My first knee replacement went well I was at 110 and 0 by the end of my PT in Mid December. The knee is strong. I do still have some pain at times but nothing that does not quickly pass. I wanted to just do my rt and return to work and put off the left. The left was slightly better so I thought I could pull it off. Nope I had to replace the left also. I was still having difficulty walking due to the bad left.

Since having the left done I feel like a new person. Of course I have alot of therapy and healing to do. Under all that pain and limping I can feel the knee is strong also! My flex is 108 and my extension is -8. Those numbers are from my last therapy session. I still have aways to go but I'm hoping to return to normal activities in a few months. I am really excited to see the outcome of these 2 knees. I am a mom of a 9&7 year old and hope to get back to our busy active lifestyles asap!

Good luck!!

Melissa

• Posted

I meant to say my right knee Oct 2018 and my left knee Jan 2019. Sorry for the mixup.

• Posted

Melissa 34582

Thanks for the reply, it makes me feel good reading your remarks about how your second tkr is doing good. I too thought my left knee would be ok but is in pain. My doctor tells me that I am not the only one but it nice to get know that their are others in their 40s with both knees replaced and are doing just fine.

• Posted

Melissa,

How long did it take before you could drive with your R knee?

• Posted

Hi Melissa I am seeing consultant next week as i have been advised i need tkr left knee i am 63 and was told by consultant in March at ICATS appointment that only thing against me was my age apparently i am too young !

Where do you live and did you have any special clinical reason for having both knees done so young ? I live in Northern Ireland .

I am really pleased to hear you are doing so well you need to be on your feet with two young children to run after .I must say after reading some of the letters on here i am not looking forward to having the surgery but i need it badly i have had to give up my work as a Dental Nurse and cant see me being able to go back, i have been on sick leave since mid May and Occupational Health Consultant has said in his report that i am not fit to work till i have surgery and i hear waiting list could be 2 years.I am already 4 months behind as my referral letter from icats to consultant went missing and i only found out i wasnt on list when i rang to check how much longer i was going to have to wait,still had to wait 6 weeks for an urgent appointment.My GP has advised me to put a complaint in to the Trust but afraid too in case it gets picked up and they make me wait even longer.Good old NHS .

• Posted

Heather, I am also 63 (live in NC, USA) and am having TKR in 5 weeks. I was too young when the issue started some 14 years ago - now my surgeon is the one who said my knee is full bone on bone and injections will no longer provide any relief.

I agree, do all that you can to see you get the surgery you need. You have your GPs recommendation so that must carry some weight.

Knees last longer for us at our age because we are less active (or so they think LOL).

• Posted

My first knee is good! It's strong, I'm happy with it! The second one post op 8 days, I walk to the bathroom unassisted, use the bathroom unassisted, I use a shower chair because I can't get the knee wet till staples come out on the 18th. When the staples are out I will shower. I can walk up and down staires...slowly....my biggest thing right now is the pain, it's still pretty sore. I am constantly switching out ice packs. I elevate and ice most of my day. Underneath all the pain and limping I can feel 2 strong, solid knees!! It's only a matter of time now! Also, I feel doing this at such an early age it's so much easier just due to the fact we are in our 40s!! My doc said I have knees of a 70 year old woman and it's hereditary in my case(he suggests.) But Good luck you will be great!!! If you have any ??? just ask😊.

Take care!

Melissa

• Posted

Hi Kebra!

My doc didnt want me to drive for 6 weeks after surgery.

Melissa

• Posted

Hi Heather,

They really didn't want to do my surgeries at my age either but I had no choice. I had been getting pain shots and cortisone injections and they just quit working! I was at the end of my rope at that point. I was bone on bone and couldn't walk or work! I work 12 hour shifts at a hospital. I am from US. Chicago. So I have been off work since August 2018. I am confident after therapy is complete O I will be returning to work. I am hoping for March. You gotta just keep pushing to get it done! You will not be sorry! I can already feel this is life changing for me!

Good Luck!

Melissa

• Posted

Thanks for your replies.I didnt need tkr when in my 40,s pain only started early Dec 2017 i had xray then and diagnosis by my GP saw consultant in icats team end March and he told me my knee was "Totally wrecked" bone on bone physio no help and injections no help either as no spaces between bones to put them.It was only the fact that he said i was too young that was worrying me till i saw op being done on live TV on a 48 year old man.I was like why am i too young at 63.

Hopefully Mr Napier who i see next week agrees with diagnosis and puts me on his list believe me i will be pushing for it taking too many meds at the minute and they are just about taking the edge off the pain.

Did you have full anaesthic (put to sleep) for your surgery? The op i saw on Tv was done with epidural and sedation so awake but unaware / no pain . Hip replacements are done like that here too.

• Posted

i havent been on here for a while but I had to reply to your post!

fight like mad and get your knee replacement surgery.

i am now almost two years post op.

its completely transformed my life.

tale a look at my profile and read my story.

i was 52 when I had mine done.

it was so hard in the two years before I got it done, and I wanted the surgery so much, that though it was hard after, for me personally it was a better and more positive experience than being left to suffer without treatment. this coloured my view on the recovery because I knew I had a chance of improvements which could last year's.

with positive attitude, patience and application, you will be fine.

there are of course risks with any surgery, but one weighs things up and decides to take them if you want.

knee replacement surgery is a well proven surgery with excellent success rates.

i am over the moon with mine.

i have made many posts on this site in the past, less so now, mainly because I have been able to live my life fully operational!

i was a dental nurse in my twenties!

all the best!

• Posted

Hi Jenny Thanks so much for replying to me .I have been a dental nurse for over 40 years and 23 at end of this month at the same practice.I have seen so many changes.

Well i have seen surgeon o Thursday morning no arguements that i need surgery nothing else will do ,i had 4 more xrays from different angles .The patella is wearing down from the back and lots of wear on joint itself its bone on bone which i can really feel.

BUT i need to lower my BMI to at least 40 means losing 35lbs or 15kgs i am on list as of Thursday just have to contact him when i have done that. I also have fibromyalgia which really limits my mobility so not able to do much in the way of exercise so its all down to diet ,dont know how thats going to be but needs must as i would be at risk of clots and my mum has had 3 and now permantly on Warfarin to keep blood thin.So i guess i have some work to do in next few months

• Posted

yes, but that's great they have said it's something you can do.. I had to lose weight... it is hard work but gracious, when you suddenly realise it's restricting your mobility, then it helps a lot. You can do it... It really is either do it, and be mobile, or not...horrible to realise, but it helps with the losing weight... I wrote all about my journey... take a look at my profile. Lost loads...Just being able to walk around is great.. .never take it for granted again! My sticks wait for if ever the other one fails me, but so far so good.

I have put on a stone post surgery, unfortunately... but I am now working to get shot of that again. It's not easy, but you have everything to gain, best wishes to you!

• Posted

Thanks Jenny I have looked at your journey on arts page not read it all yet though but definitely plan to go backto it. I will be looking for lots of encouragement over coming weeks .I havent used a stick yet but i have a few in house which belonged to my parents and will try them out too.

• Posted

I did write a lot... I needed to to keep me focused...I did find the time before having the surgery so very difficult...I was beyond the end of my tether, to be honest. Life was just closing in ... like a funnel!I liked the thinner type walking sticks...walking pole type, but not with a prong but a rubber cap on the end. And I did find having them useful post surgery because because it is rather odd, you have to kind of learn how to walk again! Very strange! My operated leg took a while to strengthen up...not sure why, but I think it was in a pretty bad way before the surgery. The thinner type don't give you the same kind of support as a proper crutch does, and things got so bad before surgery for me I found I sometimes needed a proper crutch if I was going to walk anywhere on some days, but having the sticks... two is best, did help me to keep walking, which of course is good exercise in itself.

I am not on this forum so much anymore, but I will pop back from time to time, so I hope it all goes well. It really has the potential to be an amazing life changing event... and all the work you do before hand... well that too can set you on a very beneficial path. Caring for YOU yourself, and investing in yourself...all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.