Any one tried Lactulose for constipation?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi  I have had IBS for around 6/7 years.  Mainly constipation but very very occasionally diarreah.  I also suffer from anxiety especially health anxiety.  I have been having trouble with opening bowels in the last few months.  My gp has given me movicol which worked well but I could not put up with the wind and stomach cramps.  I then tried fybogel/mebeverine which also worked fairly well and was kinder on the stomach.  It seems to have stocked working athough I still go fairly easily each day the stools were coming like 1 and 2 on the bristol scale so contipation really.  My gp has now given me lactulose to try twice a day.  I had first dose this morning and feel very windy.  I believe this can happen but of course it could just be IBS.  I have never been able to tie down any foods that are a problem.  I eat porridge, wholemeal bread fruit and veg etc.  I know there is a difference of opinion about whether fibre is good for constipation or makes it worse.  I did think about taking nothing but don't want to go back to constipation as I am seeing the consultant next week re blood in the stools which my gp thinks has been caused by hard stools.  I am expecting to be referred from colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy because I am 69.   Obviously none of this is doing my anxiety any good and probably adding to digestive issues.  I should add I took mebeverine for years but my gp said it might be adding to the constipation so not taking it at the moment.  I am drinking plenty of water and have cut right down on tea.  Would love to know how you got on with lactulose and how long it took to work.  Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, needed it for a month or two whilst on co codamol and it worked well without side effects. Take bedtime and next day works
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I have been told to take it twice a day 10-15ml.  Will see how it goes after today.
  • Posted

lactulose is well known for giving lots of wind. i would keep going with the fybogel if it works for you but look at changing your diet. wholegrain foods like wholemeal bread are not generally tollerated well by people with IBS, so you could try swapping for white bread and see if that helps. you could also try increasing the good fats in your diet.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I have had to stop the Lactulose after only 3 days use as I could not stand the bloating wind and cramps.  I have decided not to take anything for a few days and see how it goes and whether the bloating etc improves.  I have a supply of fybogel in case I need it.  I have read a lot about how some people have problems with wholemeal foods.  I am worried though to change diet in case the constipation comes back.  It is a bit of a vicious circle.  I have although cut down on tea and am drinking lots of water.  I was only thinking the other day that when I was a child and teenager we all ate white bread and more fats so maybe there is something to it.  I have an appointment at the hospital on Tuesday to see the gastro consultant as I have been having blood in stools which started when I had the last bout of constipation.  I am expecting to have to have colonscopy or sigmoidoscopy and upper endoscopy.  I am trying to be upbeat not easy being an anxiety sufferer and praying it is not cancer although my gp thinks not. She did a rectal exam felt my abdomen all ok and blood tests showed no anaemia,inflammation or infection.  My husband has just been through  both upper and lower scopes because of anaemia.  Thankfully all polyps removed were benign and he is being treated for duodenal inflammation and iron for the anaemia.  I will ask the consultant about diet and IBS on Tuesday.
    • Posted

Hi I have been to the hospital have been examined had rectal and abdomen both ok.  I am now waiting for an appointment for a colonoscopy.  Am taking fybogel/meberverine which seems to work and has least bloating and wind. I am able to go daily but still have some blood not liquid but either on outside or mixed in with stool red to darker red and sometimes after wiping.  I mentioned to the hospital doctor that the blood seems to be more on lumpy stools not smooth ones.  Sorry to be so graphic.  She said from that she thought it might be a higher up hemmerhoid (she could not find hemmerhoid or any evidence of bleeding in anal/rectal exam).  I realise that you need a camera up to see further up. She said it could be diverticular or some inflammation from the constipation.  I suffer from bad anxiety and what is worrying me is that I would have thought hemmeroids would have healed by now after 7 weeks so why am I still finding blood in stools.  Has anyone any experience of high up hemmeroids that could not be seen on rectal examination.  Also does anyone know if when taking a bulk laxative it takes a long time for any old stool to pass.  I ask this as often my stools are part small lumps or pieces with smoother whole pieces or lumps stuck together.  This says to me I am still constipated but I go every day and they are easy to pass. Can anyone offer any information.  I have now convinced my self it is colon cancer.  My gp says that most cancer causes looser stools going more often and I assume that with abdominal exam she would feel any blockage.  Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.