Any one with help on ulcer cure? Had h-pylori treatment but ulcer is still present

Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone out there with this ? I've had a burning pain in upper stomach since January, all the typical acid reflux symptoms .. Etc etc. I'm actually so sick of talking about it !! It matches stomach ulcer exactly .. Gnawing hunger pain between meals, and at night ..

Ppi's don't work for me .. I got tested positive for h-pylori and did 2 rounds of antibiotics which according to a stool test, the h-pylori has gone .. But I'm definitely still left with an ulcer ?!

I'm taking DGL licorice, slippery elm, Manuka honey, turmeric, pro-biotics ..

I've just started on bone broth .. And another thing is CABBAGE JUICE! After 24 hours on the so called micacle worker it is, I'm feeling REALLY tired and sluggish .. Shall I power through if it will cure my ulcer ? Any feedback on success stories would be appreciated !! I'm worried if I'm really tired it could be dangerous? But I'd power on for a week if it cured it!

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

A member of my family has this and the treatment included  dexlansoprazole (Dexilant), then esomeprazole (Nexium). Bismuth subsalicylate, which may also help kill H. pylori along with your antibiotics that pink liquid OTC available at drug stores. 

He has been much better and was scoped for several years to be sure the throat area and stomach acid does not cause additional problems. He has been pain free still take nexium daily.

hope your better soon. 

• Posted

Your ulcer is most probably due to excess acid - especially if you're negative for H-Pylori. To allow your ulcer to heal, you need to suppress the acid for a while.

The "natural" products you are using may help soothe the symptoms but won't cure the ulcer nor reduce the acid so it can heal itself.

You sat PPIs don't work for you? How have you been taking them and for how long? They are not an instant miracle cure. They need to be taken at appropriate dose at the same time every day (half an hour before breakfast is best) and you should start seeing their effectiveness after a week. Then it will take a few weeks for the ulcer to heal.

If PPIs actually do not work for you get a prescription for an H2 blocker 9eg ranitidine / Zantac) at about 400 mg. Not so efficient as PPI but should do the trick but may take longer.

• Posted

Have you been for an endscopy? Only you shouldn't start long term PPI use without them. Also how long did you use the PPI, which one and what dose. 

They usually take at least 4 weeks to work and they don't work for me with the standard dose I take a higher dose. 

If this is all being done via your doctor they should be doing this for you. I wouldn't give up on the PPI just yet. Once I got the dose right, they have been a revelation for me and changed my life around. The terrible symptoms I had have all gone away

• Posted

The same applies to me, I've tried H2 blockers and again I had stomach pain, after continuing on my PPIs I can eat and drink what i want and literally have no stomach pain... They just work for me..

• Posted

Thanks guys - appreciated ..

I'll explain more !

I got diagnosed with H-Pylori back in January, I had stomach ulcer symptoms, night sweats, back pain - despite being pumped with PPI's they weren't working ..

I started a course of triple therapy to eradicate the h-pylori, and AMAZING, after 2 days - ALL SYMPTOMS WENT ! I felt instantly cured, it seemed like it had done the trick ..

Anyway, straight after I came off the antibiotics - it all came back, so I did the SAME course again, and the same thing happened, all symptoms DISAPEARED, and then when I finished, it all came back !!

I did another test for h-pylori straight away which came back negative - HOWEVER, I was full of omeprazole (80mg a day!!) so I'm not convinced that the test was accurate ..

I'm seeing gastro on Tuesday ..

My feelings and theory is - if it was a NON H-PYLORI ulcer - then the antibiotics wouldn't make all of it go away for that period of time would it? It was instant ..

If it was an ulcer that wasn't h-pylori related (or something else) the triple eradication would of had no impact ..

I'm thinking that I do STILL have h-pylori, and there is different lines of treatment of antibiotics I can take that will work better with me to eradicate it.

I've come off omeprazole (suffering !!) so I can have a crystal clear h-pylori test again to see if still have the bug (which I'm pretty sure I do) so - they can do another line of treatment for it!

• Posted

If you're suffering off omeprazole, it seems the medication may actually be working after all?

• Posted

I was diagnosed with non- hpylori stomach ulcers a few yrs ago. I was diagnosed via endoscopy. I took 80mg of omperazole for 6 weeks whilst also only eating plain food and drinking water. I had another endoscopy after 8 weeks and I was all healed. It sounds like you have tried many things, but have you tried them for long enough and have you confirmation it's an ulcer? I have lots of ulcer symptoms regularly but my ulcers have never actually come back.

Good luck!

• Posted

I've been on PPI's since Christmas ! What I meant to say was they are not working in terms of 'curing' only keeping things at bay ..

In regards to 'non h-pylori' ulcers - it's great to know you had a cure for them !!

The only thing is - I am aware that ulcers can take 8 weeks to heal - HOWEVER, why would they just SUDDENLY disappear whilst I was on triple therapy ? This keeps leading me back to the fact that they must be H-Pylori related? If they weren't then the antibiotics wouldn't have done anything would they ??

When I was on it - no symptoms, as soon as finished the course - all symptoms came back ...

I know there's different courses of triple therapy you can take and I read that it fails 1/3 of the time ..

Thoughts welcome!

• Posted

Where do you have back pain, my pain radiates from upper on right side then down past bottom of rib cage.
    • Posted

No - mine is behind my stomach and between my shoulder blades - it's the radiated pain from ulcer I think :-/

• Posted

I have an ulcer, but it depends on the location, and mine is near the right it was very bad, but nexium has helped, however if I stop it gets worse. It is much worse during my sleeping hours close to time I wake up. It did start at the lower part of my esophagus.  You seem like a nervous person perhaps that in itself impedes the healing process. I myself get anxious and I tend to worry to much, but I am professional nurse which means I can overthink things when it comes to my own health I try not think of the worse. 

• Posted

perhaps you mention this already, but have you a gallbladder? If so Did the doctor do any testing? Hidascan?
    • Posted

Thanks - I am seeing gastric on Tuesday so I'll see what they say next ..

I know it can't be anything more than ulcers / h pylori ..

It's just how long it's taking to heal .. It's been 3 months and I'm no better - how long does it take??

I've tried loads of different diets etc and nothing makes much difference .. I've totally cut down on all sorts, wheat, dairy and alcohol, if I have the tiniest bit of wheat or alcohol I end up in night's sweats ! ..

I suppose I'm worried I'll have it forever and it's ruining my day to day life, my partner and I run a private catering and wine tasting business and it's making that and my whole lifestyle so difficult ! .. Will I get better ?? .. Thanks for support :-)

• Posted

Thank you - it's really ruining things for me .. It's like a bloody shadow following me around all day ! ..

I'm scared it's going to be some chronic thing I'll have for life and I'll be living on cabbage bananas and water forever !

I know I have an ulcer - it's just so odd how it disappeared whilst on antibiotics .. Weird ! All I want is a cure - it's depressing me :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.