any osteomyelitis statitical data collected in uk?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I need to find statitical data collected on osteomyelitis. i am trying to take my local nhs to court for negiligence, my claims are that my daughter who had chronic osteomyelitis was not given the recomended antibiotic treatment, she was given oral antibiotics and never given any iv antibiotics. it is well doccumented in her hospital notes that my daughter was unable to swallow any solids whatso ever, she was on food suppliment drinks for 12 months prior to her getting osteomyelitis and continued with this problem during her two treatment for osteomylitis. i feel that the doctor should have taken into account the fact that my daughter was unable to take oral antibiotics as she vomited them back up, i have been trying to take this matter to court for 8 years and keep getting knocked back each time on trivial discrepancies,as it stands now the court accept that iv antibiotics would have been the prefered choice, but they also claim that my daughter had a 75%-90% chance having her leg amputation no matter what route antibiotics were given iv or oral. i do not accept this fact, as i suggest that if my daughter had been given iv antibiotics her chances of saving her leg would have increased. i need urgently to find any data statistics etc in the uk to see what the chance my daughter might have had in saving her leg if she was given ivantibiotics.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well you could start by looking at the [b:e898729301]Hospital Episode Statistics[/b:e898729301] published by the UKs Department of Health, there might be something about it in there somewhere smile but the truely honest answer might be that there arent any statistics for this condition,, or you are going to need to pay someone to root them out :? Good luck with your case (you are going to need it) :oops: :D
  • Posted

I was given oral antibiotics for chronic osteomytis which obviously didn't work as it is known only iv will attempt to shift this condition. I changed my surgeon and was given 3 months iv plus oral antibiotics and my apparently RARE condion is under control, my vertebrea are now fused. I am here if you need any fther information x
    • Posted

where was your Osteomylitis at, & what IV meds? I'm glad to hear yours is under control.

• Posted

Hi, I just wondered if you managed to find any further information/ statitical date regards this condition. I am at the begining of this journey. After taking my son to A and E twice in July with bad knee pains we were told it was a sprain and just take ibrophen and it will get better. However in Aug by total coincdence he had an orthopedic appointment due to him having flat feet. He mentioned he was in pain and he decided to do an xray and bone abnomalities where discovered. Anyway he had an MRI first week in sept and saw the registrar on 25th who said he had to speak with the consultant to decided plan of action and call me back. Well never happened so I have had to repeatedly call until on Friday I was informed my son was to have debridgement and cutterage operation a week today! Anyway he was diagnosed with chronic oseomylitus (sorry spelling) and a brodies abcess on his growth plate. From  then till now they havent given him nothing..no antibiotics, pain killers ( other than the regular over the counter stuff) and I dont even know what the plan is or what to except after surgery? will he need to stay in hospital? today my GP finally gave him some strong pain killers as he refused to walk to school.  sad From what I am reading this condition is frequently missed/ miss treated. From everything I have read he should have had antibiotics straight away however even since that registrar told us on 25th sept he hasnt had nothing? confused dose this sound familier with anyone else?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.