Any positives?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Has anyone actually experienced positive effects of taking Mertazapine? Most of the topics and replies suggest this med is helldrug and most of the people don't have much good to say about this medication. I started taking it month ago 15mg and now just wondering if it's worth it...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ive been on Mirtazapine for about 6 months now and its changed my life completely, for the better.

I had suffered with stress induced early wakening insomnia for about two years, which left me barely able to function on days I slept poorly. I tried everything and was quite resigned to to its impact on my quality of life.

Eventually I saw a new GP who suggested mirtazapine. I was wary but decided i had little to lose.

The relief was immediate due to the sleep inducing effects. I built tolerance with time but after a month or so my sleep slowly got better and better - 5 bad nights a week became 3, which became 1, and now I sleep excellently pretty much every night. My partner says I seem noticeably less anxious generally.

Ive found the side effects tolerable - I was already very skinny and tended to struggle to put weight on, and have not put on more than a few pounds due to mirt, which I'm fine with. The intense appetite effects have settled down after some time. I don't have any noticeable drowsiness in the morning anymore. This did take some time but the side effects DO improve, at least for me.

Everyone reacts differently to medication but for me its honestly massively improved my quality of life. Anyone reading this considering it for insomnia, I can't recommend it enough, so long as you can tolerate the weight effects.

• Posted

I'm a skinny minny and have been taking 45 mg's of Mirtazerpine for a few years. It has never affected my appetite but ensures a fairly good sleep. I'm glad that it's working for you too.

• Posted

Hi. That's true. It helps me with my poor sleep too. for years I tried many things and nothing really worked, maybe for a while... Mirt is not a miracle drug but I sleep better than I used to. I'm still on 15mg and I notice I start to wake too early again. Hopefully it will pass. Do you think higher dose would make me sleep even better? I'm glad your life has changed for better.

• Posted

You are on a very low dose. It doesn't always work for everyone. I have been through so many anti depressants and 45 mg's of Mirtazapine works for me. I'd go back to my GP and tell them it's not having any effect. They might up your dose or put you on a different medication. It has taken me a long time to lose my depression and anxiety. There is a way to lose this disabling illness, you will come out of it. Please remember that Mirtazapine has side effects as well as some quite disturbing withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking them.

I hope you find the help you need. Don't give up, you're going to get there. I never gave up, even when my depression told me to. I beat it, you can too.

• Posted

Mirtazapine saved my life 15 years ago. It really did. I've just finished coming off of it because of the side effects that became increasingly difficult to ignore as my metabolism changed with age, but it did help like nothing else had before it for over a decade. It is a hell drug to come off of, that is for sure. But if it works for you, and you're not experiencing significant side effects, there's no trouble in giving it a shot.

• Posted

hi. I'm staying on it cause it helps me to sleep. Need to find the way get rid of rumination and anxiety and it will be better.

glad it helped you. good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.