Any positives from Mirtazapine?!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello,

Citalopram wasn't working for me and my BP depression has been getting worse so I've just been given a prescription for mirtazapine but after reading the bad reviews on here I'm scared to death of taking it! I'll be tapering off the citalopram in the next few days and then starting the Mirt at the weekend, is there anybody who has had some positive effects from taking this medication? My Dr said it was a very good AD drug which will lift my mood in a few weeks so I was really hopeful but now I'm not so sure if I want to take it and feel upset. confused cry

3 likes, 113 replies

113 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Liam,

After many years of fighting depression, and trying everything from the ancient Tricyclics (didn`t work at all) to the more modern SSRI`s (Seroxat (Paroxatine) made me dangerously suicidal [I`m talking 70 stitches repair by a plastic surgeon under general Anathaetic suicidal], and Prozac did nothing at all), I finally was put on the Maximum dose of Mitrazapine ; 45mg, I found it to greatly help my depression, and I was quite quickly getting my life back to some sort of normality.

It does very often cause weight gain, but I`d rather be a bit overweight than dead!

I don`t have BP which I assume is Bipolar, so I`m guessing you may need more than one medication to sort that out.

But for Depression, it`s quick, maybe 2 weeks to work, and has kept me stable for around ~15 years now.

In my case it truly was/is a life saver. I can honestly recommend it

I hope you find the peace of mind you are looking for.

All the best

Paddy

• Posted

Hi Liam the same thing happened to me, I was put on venaflaxine first but it didn't work at all. Then went on to mirt which has really helped in my head, I am no longer depressed and loads less panicky.  The problem for me is my body won't function and I really don't understand nor do my GP or Pdoc. I would give it a go as I have not felt so good about the future in years and you may not get any side affects, people on this site have got side effects and would not be on it otherwise so that means loads of people must be fine, if that makes sence. Give it a go and let us know how you get on. Take care judith
    • Posted

Hi Judith

I might be able to help you with that.... After my last surgery in August I developed an ilius. My body shut down. Typically you won't develop one unless having abdominal surgery or tumor removed from abdominal area. The ilius caused my small intestine to clamp down and not release meaning food couldn't pass from my stomach to colon. They were going to put an ng tube in directly into my colon. I had to stop all meds and it took me two and a half months for my body to start working again before I could start it again.After this happened to me a started researching and discovered that in rare cases such as mine and yours this reaction can happen..... To top it off my bladder stopped working also at the same time so my situation turned critical rather quickly. I take it for multiple reasons severe depression anorexia anxiety attacks insomnia and night terrors to list some. I had to adjust my diet and add a diuretic. Yogurt has been a life saver it costed my stomach was still considered a liquid and naturally has probiotics that help naturally.I'm back on it but it doesn't seem to be working as well this time and unfortunately I've had several reactions to meds in the last two yrs so my next step if this doesn't work is electro shock therapy (not as horrible as it sounds) and it has a 93% success rate because it opens new neuro pathways that were otherwise not firing. They put you under light anesthesia and put electrodes on your temples causing you to have mini seizures that produce the pathways.... You don't feel a thing but you do need to be inpatient for a short period of time while under this treatment and it's only 3-6 sessions. Mirtazapine was my last option for meds and seeing as my body has reacted the way it has I will probably be seeking EST (it has another name they call it now because of the stigma attached to electronics shock therapy but it will redirect you if you google it) . Good luck I'm sorry it happened to you

Sincerely

Nikki

• Edited

Hi Liam,

I was changed from citalopram to mirtazapine back in january, because citalopram was doing nothing for me. Four months on mirtazapine and I am feeling so much better. I was giving up hope when citalopram wasn't changing anything, and was disappointed about having to go through waiting for another antidepressant to start having an effect. It did take a few weeks for me to start feeling better though, so you will have to try and be patient. I have found it very good for helping my sleep aswell, one of the best things about it, because I was suffering bad insomnia and you do feel so much better when you get a full nights sleep.

• Posted

That's good to hear as I am only 21/2 weeks down the line and although my head is clear my body haven't followed yet, will plod on thanks
    • Posted

Hi Liam, hope yor ok today, I am now nearly three weeks into 30 mirt sand was wondering if I should go up to 45 as I still feel really dizzy and can't do a lot during the day which is getting me down. From what I have read they may make a difference at 45 but a bit scared, don't want to get get worse!
    • Edited

I dont suppose you are still on this forum. But id love to know if the medicine helped with the morning anxiety / waking dread?
    • Posted

Hi I'm still on this forum. I've had a bit of a blip, I have had one 20mg tablet of citalopram, omg felt dreadful yesterday so I'm just going to take half tonight at bedtime along with 15 mg of mirtazapine. I have been on mirtazapine for 7 years and really never had any problems with up till now, it seems to have stopped working as it should have. I'm sure you will be fine on it, I never had the morning dread always eager to get up and get on. Have you ever been on Citalopram. Elaine.

• Posted

Yes im on citalopram .have been on 10mg for years then due to circumstances upped to 20mg for 6 weeks. Nothing worked. Am now on 2nd day of 30mg.
    • Posted

Hi, hope you start to feel better soon. Mental health issues are just horrible. Elaine.

• Posted

Hi I have just started on mirtazepine a week ago after years of escitalopram which stopped working. Hence I was searching for info on effects of the drug as I understood it made you drowsy which I was for 3 days but now struggle to sleep! Anyway while scrolling I came across your post and my heart sank as I could feel your desperation so I joined just so I can answer your question! I suffered terribly with the morning anxiety sense of doom etc and 3 days into this pill it went completely! I was very worried about starting a new pill and really didn't want to but all I can say is it's a miracle and I have my life back! I felt very strange with a fuzzy head for first few days and drowsy only thing now the insomnia however it could be that I have been so bad this last episode that I fear sleep as I can go to bed perfectly normal but wake next day and feel like there is nothing to get up for. Early days but I hope I have found the answer to my prayers and that you will to!

All the best to you, you are not alone!

• Posted

Hi there was just reading your story i am 15 of mitazapine , week 5 but still have anxiety and loss of appertight , now indejestion as well , wwill carry on 1 more week
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies, this has made me feel a bit more positive about starting my new meds. Yes I do suffer from bi polar and I am on Olanzapine as well as an AD drug, Citalopram and then going onto Mirtazapine. Maybe it would help if more people came online to tell people about positive reviews instead of the nightmare stories! 
    • Posted

I understand what you mean about the negative reviews, but it seems that people who are angry or dissappointed with a medication, are the ones more motivated to get on the `net just to vent or look for an alternative.

Mirtazapine is an effective anti-deppressant, the best I `ve ever taken, and it has helped me tremedously.

Hope it helps you too.

Paddy

• Posted

Thank you, I hope it proves to be a good choice for me, none of the others I've tried have really helped. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.