Any positives from Mirtazapine?!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello,

Citalopram wasn't working for me and my BP depression has been getting worse so I've just been given a prescription for mirtazapine but after reading the bad reviews on here I'm scared to death of taking it! I'll be tapering off the citalopram in the next few days and then starting the Mirt at the weekend, is there anybody who has had some positive effects from taking this medication? My Dr said it was a very good AD drug which will lift my mood in a few weeks so I was really hopeful but now I'm not so sure if I want to take it and feel upset. confused cry

3 likes, 113 replies

113 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi i was also on citalopram , felt great but could nt sleep so was put on mirtazpine 

roughly 3wks ago the only positive was i slept but im seriously coming off them and maybe trying something else , Because if i don t stop eating im going to be the size of a small country and as yet don t feel any diffarent mood still same apparently everyones different so hopefully you will get the best out of them ! so herers hoping for you . Me im going to have to try something else as for me the negatives outway any positives (16)days in and half a stone heavier . No good .

• Posted

Hi Liam, yes I take Mirtazapine 30mg at night. It works well for me. It doesn't suit everyone. It won't kill you smile . For me it gave me relief from overpowering anxiety attacks. The first few days was when I felt the side effects worst. Mr Psych. suggested I take half doses for the first 4 days (he must have known ....) . I was so agitated on day 2 that I didn't dare take the next half dose that night. After a rest day I restarted and second time lucky - I didn't get that again. And I did start to feel better anxiety-wise in about a week, and a lot better in about a month. It can make you hard to get moving in the morning and you will feel extra hungry in the evening. So I have started on gym at local Leisure Centre and so far so good. Let us know how you go with it. All the Best, David.
    • Posted

Hi David, hope your having a good day with your cat. I am spaced out today, done all my jobs slowly this morning but just watching tv all day. Hoping this wire world I am in will go soon. Talking of cats my daughter goes on holiday tomorrow, I siad I would feed her cat so I have to go out every day, hope I can do it. Sometimes I think it's in my head but even when I really push myself it doe sent change. So mojo I will come and feed you no matter how badly my body behaves. Will let you know how I get on take care judith
    • Posted

Hi David,

I suffer from Pure O and get intrusive thoughts and have been on Mirt for about 8.5 weeks now. the depression side of things seems to be alright but still get that horrible low feeling some days and wake up groggy with the intrusive thoughts going stupid, they calm down once the groggyness wears off. I am currently on 37.5mg at the moment which I started 5 days ago after being on 30mg 3 weeks before that and 45mg for 16 dyas before that.

does the mirt lesson the intrusive thoughts over time or help you deal better ?

• Posted

Hi Liam.

I have been on mirtazapine for 4 years and it has been a godsend, gave me back my life again after awful anxiety and social anxiety. I started on 15mg and then to 30 mg. I did put on 2 stone in weight but I was very underweight so this was really good for me. I've had a few blips along the way and had to go up to 45mg just to get me over this but I'm now back at 30mg. It is also good for getting a good sleep. Don't be scared about it give it a try I'm sure you will be fine. 

Elaine.

• Posted

Hi Elaine, that is great to know, how long did it take you to feel better on 30ml, I have been on it for nearly two weeks, has really helped with panics and depression but side affects stopping me doing things. Eating everything but like you need to put on some weight as GAD made me not eat. Thanks for your feedback judith
    • Posted

Hi Judith.

If I remember correctly I think it was only about 2-3 weeks on mirtazapine when I started to feel much better. I've not had any side effects part from the eating but that was only for about the first few months. I didn't have a good appetite before but the mirtazapine certainly helps with that. That's good though that you are finding this drug helpful. Hang in there you WILL get better. Elaine.

• Posted

Do the tablets alone just cause you to gain weight or is the increased appitite a side effect that makes you eat loads more than normal? I'll have to watch what I'm eating! Thanks for all the input guys, much apprieciated. 
    • Posted

hi liam the tablets increase your appetite so you eat more , iv  never experianced anything like it i could just eat constantly , it a constant craving , iv been on the tablets for almost 3 wks and i don t think they re working positively for me , i keep saying stick with it but im really concerned that im pileing on the pound and im tired all the time im struggling , ill be going to the docs next wk me thinks . all the best !
    • Posted

Slightly concerning reading about the weight gain! I'll really have to watch what I'm putting in my mouth, I'll buy a bag of lettuce and pig out on that lol... I'm starting my dose tonight on a 7.5mg then I'll take less of my citalopram tomorrow and another 7.5 of mirt Friday night then a full 15mg Saturday night.

What dose are you on? I'm starting on 15mg, my Dr didn't mention any increases yet. He said 2-4 weeks to start feeling the benefit, hang on in there! 

• Posted

Sorry should have said I'm starting on 7.5mg, I'm still weaning off citalopram for a few days. Dr said I could go manic if I was taking both. 
    • Posted

That's what happened to me but I dint realise it was that at the time, just felt really hyper but really drunk as well, very strange!
    • Posted

Same for me eating everything in sight, people say it wears off, small price to pay for me at least I want to live now
    • Posted

I think in my case my appitite returned to (near) normal with time. But prior to taking these I never had a sweet tooth, I certainly do now!, but I found that when the depression got better, my will power did also, so although I could quite happily pig - out non stop, I don`t.

I`m sure your eating will settle when your mind does.

All the Best

Paddy

• Posted

To be honest I'd rather be feeling more towards manic than how low I have been feeling over the last week, really bad. Hoping the mirtazapine can help me shake off this dark place. 
    • Posted

Same for me never had a sweet tooth befor but have now! Managed shopping and seeing some mates in pub today with a little help from diazapam, let's hope this is the future smile
    • Posted

Same hear my mood is great now and out of that dark place, that's why I am sticking with them, I am happy to be alive and looking forward to the future biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.