Any problems with plates/screws?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! i had a trimalleolar break a little over a year ago. i have a plate and 8 screws on side, 1 screw in the middle of my tibia, and 2 screws on the inside part of my ankle, and 2 syndesmotic sutures. I havent had any problems, but today i have had a little pain on the side where the plate is. I didnt really give it any thought until i looked at it a little bit ago and i have a huge knot, right in the middle of where my plate is. Like its really big, very tender, and starting to throb. Has anyone had their plates do this? Specifically a year or longer after surgery? i havent, to my knowledge, done anything to it to irritate it.

thank yall!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Same here

Experiencing pain as well.1.5 years after. Wondering is it too late to take them out or what? We both need to go back to the doctor.

• Posted

Hello all,

I've had the same fracture, my plate isn't hurting at the moment, but I read that after the bones have healed, plates are no longer needed!

• Posted

Last time i was at my doctors appointment in May, he told me i could have the metal removed at any time i wanted, if it began to bother me, so i am assuming yours can be removed as well now! Of course though, i would rather not have another surgery. It's just so strange to me to have this happen so randomly. An appointment is definitely in store for me if this knot doesn't go away; i actually think it is bigger this morning than it was yesterday unfortunately. I hope yours feels better soon, it makes me feel better though that I'm not the only one in this situation.

• Posted

Hello,

I had the same fracture, but my plate isn't bothering me . I did read that after the bone had healed, plates are no longer needed! It could be scar tissue, it could be anything really. Good Idea to get it checked out.

• Posted

I will definitely make an appointment to get it seen about if it doesnt seem to be getting any better, which its actually gotten bigger overnight. I might just need to get the metal taken out then. I think that is what scares me, is not knowing why its doing this. I hope yours continues to do well and not bother you!

thank you 😃

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, good Idea to get it checked out. Thank you, I'm only 8 weeks post surgery, and still in the rehab stage. But I think I'll eventually have mine removed. I have done extensive reading and the conclusion is , it's better to have hardware removed if you can. Things could snap off, like the doctor told me that a pin could snap and stay in my leg, he said that's the worst case scenerio. But there are other things that could happen too. I'm with you on not wanting another surgery.

• Posted

hi, my son had plate and screws taken out, then fused, then total ankle replacement but still in pain. i really feel for you all after seeing what my son is going through. good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.