Posted , 13 users are following.

Does anyone that has had their gallbladder removed regret having

the operation ?

I keep reading lots of posts where having the gallbladder removed

seems to make things worse.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I don't regret it at all. Apart from pains that could last 3-4 days so I got no sleep and was exhausted, I had no appetite and felt generally unwell. I was just getting worse and worse, even though I stuck rigidly to a low fat diet. I actually lost weight over Christmas.

As things turned out for me if I hadn't had surgery, they wouldn't have found out I had gallbladder cancer. As it was, the cancer was discovered early so they could do a liver resection which probably has saved my life.

• Posted

I regret it I had emergency gallbladder surgery as it had ruptured I ended up in intensive care now I have a incisional hernia and I have problems with stuff I eat I get sickness it's a nightmare

• Posted

I don't regret it! I think maybe I had acid reflux and a bad gallbladder at the same time. I had constant burning, nausea and I burped non stop. This was after every meal. And once I started getting these symptoms I stuck to something close to the BRAT diet for months and I would STILL get sick! Now that my gallbladder is gone the constant burping and nausea is gone! I've been off of Nexium since surgery but I'm gonna start back today to see if that helps with the slight burning. I'm trying to be positive that the extra acid will go away over time like my doctor and others are telling me! I'm so glad I got it removed! I'd also like to mention that I know a lot of people that had their gallbladders removed and the two people who still had problems after removal had them because they didn't realize they were Celiac! Everyone else I know got back on track after a few weeks smile

• Posted

I meant burned* non stop!
  • Posted

Had problems since but there's no option, a diseased gallbladder can cause life threatening conditions so had to be done.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I had my gallbladder removed on the 19th January this year. Apart from being a bit tender the first few weeks, I feel great. It was the best thing I did. I have no pain at all.

• Posted

hi, i had to have mine out as was in excrutiating pain,as some one was stabbing me, removed all, sent home next day after the op, this was xmas 2016, unfortunately im still very tender around the stomach,and have to pay a visit to my local docs, to see what they say, i wouldnt have it done if i had a choise,but in my case it had to be done, hope all goes well for you, terry,
  • Posted

Not sure but atleast no more pain. I get acute pancreatitis from gallbladder atk... After removed, I get heartburn, gastric, and maybe now I have abdominal adhesions...
  • Posted

If your gallbladder is diseased it will continue to deteriorate and affect the organs associated with it.  Putting it off will only make things worse, especially if it ruptures or turns cancerous.  

Sometimes people do regret it, but those people are more llikely to post on sites like this.  The ones who do fine rarely do,

• Posted

Remember that the reason you see a lot of those posts is because the people who get better (the majority) are out living it up and not posting here! 

I do not regret having my gallbladder removed AT ALL. I feel SO much better. One word of warning: it did take me about 4 months after the surgery to totally feel better, at first I continued to have symptoms but milder. But now I feel great!

• Posted

I had my galbladder out April 10th.  I had been sent to hospital via my bf when I was having pains I didn't understand.  They told me then it was my galbladder and that it needed to be removed.  Being 52 at the time I was scared as I wasn't a spring chicken anymore and was nervouse that my body wouldn't bounce back again like it use to after surgery.  I refused the immediate treatment and was reffered to a surgeon.  Once I seen the surgeon and asked a million questions including how long he'd been a surgeon and what he specialized in and what his degrees were etc etc the list was extensive. I agreed to another meeting with him. I had about 3 or 4 meetings with him in all, the final two were one with me telling me the extent of the operation and exactly and in detail what was going to happen while I was on the operating table and what to expect afterwards I then had the last one with my family so he could tell them what to expect and what I was to do afterwards.  I had the operation and for the first week felt somewhat weak but by the end of the week I felt better, in two weeks I was fine.  I still couldn't lift over 10 LB's and I still couldnt't go to the gym or swim or soak in a tub, I was told to wait 4 weeks for that one.  Today I am running, swimming, and doing all of what I use to do. The only thing I found crazy like was eating.  I felt like a baby, I had to try foods one at a time to see how my stomach would react.  Sometimes the body will tolerate what it was use to having a lot of and other times it won't.  For me, I can eat whatever I want still.  I have to take it easy on chicken and cottage rolls as well as greasy foods, I like my deep fryer but can only do it about once a week and only if I feel 100% if my belly already feels illish or blah like, I can't.  Stay on a high fibre diet as it will control your bowels too.  I was told that by my surgeon, in these operations bile is part of the bowel process and it is slower due to not having the galbladder so loose stools is possible.  All in all if you do as you're told, then you'll be fine.  Don't be the doctor for yourself, if you feel good doesn't mean the insides of you do.  So just take it easy, follow instructions to the letter and ask questions like 90 and you'll be fine.  Remember, only you are in charge of your body, but if you've been told it needs removing then get it out.  If not you risk sepsis and that is deadly and no cure is present for it.

• Posted

I know that it seems scary when you read so many things online about how terrible you feel after this surgery. I had mine 2 weeks ago and because my stomach was puffy I was feeling rebellious and I said screw it and ate smoked oysters (in oil) , Doritos, and about 10 Hersheys kisses. Guess what? Not even a twinge. No sick feeling and shockingly Im not even puffy today like I have been. It just goes to show that everyone is different!!! Dont let people scare you. They say you cant eat fat, or red meat or sugar. Yes we should be avoiding all of these things anyway as part of a healthy lifestyle. But to say you'll feel sick all the time or feel worse, well thats entirely subjective. 

• Posted

I do not regret it at all!! i'm 3 months post op. I too was scared after i read all of the negative on here, but i feel so releived after my surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.