Any serious athletes with rotator cuff surgery please chime in.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I workout twice a day and very active. I do not compete in any one sport but I workout with weigths daily, play tennis, ride bmx and mountain bikes, do pullups, pushups and dips every other day, avid salsa dancer and on my down time I like to go hike, fish and photography. my shoulers have hurt for years but always felt better with a few dasys a rest. I recently tore my supraspinatous tendon with a few partial tears elsewhere. My question to others that are higly active. What was the end result if you had a similar inury and surgery? My suregery isnt for another 6 weeks due to complicatons with my business. Once i get my business in order its tme for surgery and recovery . I just want to know if I am going to have to totally chnage my lifestyle.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

***edited post. Hello, I workout twice a day and very active. I do not compete in any one sport but I workout with weights daily, play tennis, ride bmx and mountain bikes, do pullups, pushups and dips every other day, avid salsa dancer and on my down time I like to go hiking, fish and photography. my shoulders have hurt for years but always felt better with a few days a rest. I recently tore my supraspinatous tendon with a few partial tears elsewhere. My question to others that are highly active. What was the end result if you had a similar injury and surgery? My surgery isn't for another 6 weeks due to complications with my business. Once i get my business in order its time for surgery and recovery . I just want to know if I am going to have to totally change my lifestyle.

• Posted

I played college and semi pro football I tore my rotator cuff twice I never had good results I pushed back too soon. Take you time and let it heal right . Take your time do your rehab and don't try too much for about nine months.

• Posted

Thanks, that's what I plan on doing but hoping I get clearance in less than 9 month.

• Posted

Yes. I had procedures done 23 years ago at Columbia in nyc. One if the best drs at the time, I was 25. I recently ruptured the supraspinatus completely and was missing diagnosed there. Well it denigrated completely in 8 months before going to hss for another opinion. Just has superior capsular reconstruction by one if the most experienced surgeons in the NY area for this new landmark procedure. 2 weeks post op and I feel great Already. Crazy. Never felt like this after surgery. All I can say if u have shoulder problems do ur research on who is who (regarding drs who specialize in mainly shoulders only) and seek options , referrals, and do ur homework to understand the procedure involved. It's no joke. The wrong dr can wreck ur life. I am confident i will be Beck in the gym and surfing intensely after my 6 month healing and rehab mark. & Never rush rehab.!

• Posted

Crazy typos and incorrect Auto corrects. In last post. Sorry. Hard using phone. I was mis diagnosed 8 months ago. Then got another MRI at hss in nyc.
    • Posted

The other gentlemen is right about rushing healing and rehab. 9 months is a better expectation. If the say 6 minths, play it safe and expect to almost double it ,if ur a hard core athlete and are going to stress the repair to high levels. I agree with his post! & I am 46 years old

• Posted

My only issue is my insurance is garbage do I'm limited on choices. I'm going to stick with the Dr I have been seeing for my hip related injuries. I have heard from one person that had his shoulder repaired and another one that had a bicep and chest repair. The guy I wanted to use doesn't take my insurance so I'm crossing my fingers. I plan on taking it slow but 6 months is a long time and I hear that's just the minimum.

• Posted

Yes I am 46 as well. I think people just don't understand what I'm going through mentally. I go to the gym daily but that's not what I consider active. For my age it is but for me I consider active getting up in the morning stretching and doing cardio a few hours later going to the gym to lift weights and possible some light cardio and later that day either playing tennis, riding my bmx or mountain bike for another 2 hours.. That is a typical day for me. So from all that to sitting in a chair all day isn't going to work well mentally.

• Posted

Check with your insurance to see how many PT visits you are allowed. I wish I had done that. I could still be benefitting from a pt's advice and touch, but my allowed appointments were all used up within 5 months of my surgery. sad

• Posted

Hi. I am none of those things. I am 58 and had a supraspinatis tear repair last April. What I will tell you, is that I did a LOT of reading up on this before my surgery. Shoulders just take longer to heal. Period. Very important to do exactly as your doctor says and bear in mind that time will heal. Do some reading or research on post surgery prep for after the surgery when you are at home. With an excellent doctor you may be up and at 'em quicker than some because of your excellent health, but rotator cuff healing does take time and care. Best wishes!

• Posted

Thank you. Sitting around for 6 months seems impossible when Im used to working out twice a day. I read but that doesn't relax me as much as exercise. This is going to be a test of my will to live.

• Posted

Just tell yourself that every day is one day closer to total healing. I am in month 6 post op now. I am "almost" back to normal. Pain with some of the stretches still occurs, but I have started strength exercises now. I can hold my grandsons again! Yeah! You want to heal correctly, you won't just be doing nothing. You will find how important your therapy is and with your strength and determination you will do just fine. Enjoy the downtime. When it's gone, it's gone! wink best wishes.

• Posted

I mentioned in another forum my goals are 25 pull-ups nonstop, benching at least 400lb aging. Doing a 180 off of a 2 foot ledge on my Bmx bike. I'm about to be 47 and planned on doing all this until I die. I do understand most people aren't active an like you said being able to hold your grandchildren is a goal that makes. You happy. For me being active is just what I do and for the most part I do it solo because most people in this county aren't fit. Thanks for the response as far as the recovery I don't even mind the year off of it means after it heals I can beat my body up again.

• Posted

I've had some similar issues: capsular shift on my left shoulder, capsular shift on my right shoulder, biceps tenodesis on my right, subacromial decompression on my right x2, Slap repair, suprascapular nerve release, etc. I'm 5 months post op from my most recent surgery and i'm about 65% better. I had 7 anchors placed in my shoulder which caused extremely limited mobility. This last surgery was a bit of an anomally because i had 5 procedures done at once though.  4/5 surgeries i've had, i was back to normal activity within 2 months. You will need to take care of your shoulder for the first 6-8 months to avoid reinjury. You can definitely still do lower body activities such as biking and running for the first phase of recovery, but be careful with pushing yourself too far. Remember this is just temporary and it will get better with time. 

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback. Lower body for 8 months won't work for me. Riding probably won't work either because the type of riding I do is extreme with constant jumping, and some crashing. Right now I'm 4 weeks out from surgery and working out half of my upper body and my whole lower body and its not enough activity to keep me going. Time will tell but it's not looking good for me.

• Posted

Hi, I am 41 and very active. I broke my lesser tuberosity which also meant a severed subscapularuis tendon and a torn labrum. I had two surgeries in 5 days. I am now 7 months postop and having a third surgery to clean up scar tissue in three weeks time. I can tell you that it is possible to get back your intense activity but it s a very gradual process. I am a runner but had to take up walking until I could gradually get back to running. I committed to four hours of rehab a day for 5 months and now I still do at least 2 hours a day. But I am back to running, mountain biking, roller blading, swimming and light lifting. I would say I really didn't turn a corner until 4 months and by 6 I was doing much better. I still have stiff painful use of my deltoid but I was able to run pain free at about 5.5 months. I recommend therapy five days a week and a personal commitment to do three times the exercises they recommend and you will get back to where you want to be!

• Posted

Hello and thanks for the response. I can see how a runner could get back into things without much of an issue but nto sure if ill be benching 405 anytime soon. do you do shoulder presses with heavy dumbells range of 80lbs to 110lbs? Im just curious becasue you said light lifting and to me light lifting wold be shoulder pressing 60lb dumbels. as far as mountain biking I think if you are a downhill rider you could be in teh same boat as me wiht my Bmx riding. If you ride cross country then that i can see being easy after soem time. I just dont know if when all is said and done accept only doing "minimal" exercise. 

• Posted

Here is the thing....these types of surgeries that are being discussed require "sewing" tendons back onto your bone. THE length of time it takes for that bone to accept that and repair the torn tendon is what is in question. The time it takes for the bone and tendon to heal and repair itself is what you need to be concerned about. IF you rush things that will possibly just tear again. Your therapist and doctor will determine how much you can or should do during that healing period. Obviously, other exercises and activities you can do above and beyond your shoulder healing can be discussed and done by you. Hope this makes sense. Good luck all!

• Posted

Thanks for the response I guess it's time to find something else to do with myself and hope that it is a successful surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.