ANY Success stories coming of amitriptyline??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i like many others on here are trying to wean off amitriptyline and are looking for advice and positive stories. Please can anyone share their experiences to help me as i am currently struggling now i have got to 2.5 mg. What withrawal symptoms did you have ? and do you have any advice re helping these symptoms. How long after stopping did your withdrawal symptoms persist? Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

At .25 mg you can say you are nearly over with the weaning off process. When I reached to 50mg , and with pain and anxiety a lot reduced, all I wanted was to get out of the side effects trap. So i started reducing the dosage. Come along were cold symptoms lasting on, incerased anxiety, shallow sleep...in the middle I started gabapentin. I don't like this medicine much either.

• Posted

Hi

At .25 mg you can say you are nearly over with the weaning off process. When I reached to 50mg , and with pain and anxiety a lot reduced, all I wanted was to get out of the side effects trap. So i started reducing the dosage. Came along cold symptoms lasting on, incerased anxiety, shallow sleep...in the middle I started gabapentin. I don't like this medicine much either.

• Posted

Hi brotherhood thanks for your reply, sorry i am taking 2.5 mg not 25 mg so it is small but the anxiety is awful, are you off ami now?
    • Posted

Amanda I am on 10mg and while on 20mg, gabapentin was added so that it would replace amitryptlin with the same effects. I was going to ramp it up while fazing out ami but I am still lingering

Cheers

• Posted

hi did u have success? my friend is really struggling after weaning off high dose needs a positive story so she knows that full recovery is possible - txt me 07584901057 if you dont mind sharing info you may have thanks

caroline x

• Posted

Hi

I'm currently on day 3 amitriptyline free. Went from 100mg to 50 to 20.

Have been struggling a lot with withdrawal symptoms and am keen to connect with anyone going through the same thing!

Kind regards

Anna

• Posted

Hi Anna

I have been on and off Amitriptyline for 30 years since my mother died. I have been tapering down for over a year and a half now - had prickly sensations about a year ago for a few weeks and GP said they were withdrawal symptoms. Am now on 45 mgs at night and have suddenly felt very anxious, tearful - have been irritable for a long time now, flatulence, upset stomach occasionally.

I have tried to get off this drug in the past and gone back on it again - this time I am determined to get off it!

Would appreciate to hear anyone's positive stories ref this - thanks.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue

I am a week off Amit now. The reason I've had to come off fairly quickly from 100mg in june to now is i became what they thought was intolerant to it. Ive been so poorly since January. Primarily i started it for sleep and anxiety back in my younger years. I've basically replaced it with Kalms day and the Kalms one-a-night. I'm experiencing nausea and terrible anxiety feelings when i wake in the morning but am ploughing through it. I'm also quite tearful at times. I believe the tablets are helping me and placebo or not i dont care! I seem to wake around 5am at the moment. It feels strange after all these years but my body is doing pretty good i think.

I have posted my story separately here under Detoxing from Amitriptyline.

I hope you will feel better, you're not alone! You can do it. The mind and body are so powerful. Do please update how you're getting on.

Anna

• Posted

hi amanda. im at 5mg not taken it for a long time but had horrible side effects and not having any idea what i was taking and by advice of my doctor i dropped for 20 to 10 from one day to another as i was feeling horrible and then from 10 to 5 now been at 5 for like 3 weeks but scared of doing down. i feel all sorts of things and have no idea if its related to the ami but i think it is as i didnt had this symptoms before. what kind off side effects do you have? i stopped cause i had a numbness on the left side of my face the left sife of my body felt weird my headaches were worst and the nausea unbelievable! i was throwing up everyday in the morning! how much were you taking and how did you drop? thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.