Any success stories on going off Levothyroxine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any success stories of going off Levothyroxine, perhaps via diet or homeopathic supplementation?

Thanks smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi jen, not me, I've been on it 24 years. Although it's not perfect, I'm loads better than I was. Mind you, the dose that's specified by other people in this forum is 1.6mcg per kg. Which means i should be on 102 mcg not the 162.5mcg I'm on to make the symptoms go away!
  • Posted

Hi Jen, I recently went off 50 mcg Levothyroxine and changed to 60mg of Armour Thyroid (natural thyroid hormones) prescribed by my holistic doctor. It's only been a week and a half or so but I already feel way better then I did on Levothryoxine. I have more enegry, I don't feel heavy tired undereye bags anymore, and just don't feel like crap like I did. Mentally feel better as well, no brain fogginess or nothing. Natural thyroid hormones are most def worth giving a try if you not feeling back to normal on the synthetic meds.
  • Posted

Hi Jen,

Going Off it as such is not possible you have to either take a synthetic version or the NDT (natural desicated thyroid) only two options.  I have started to reduce my levo and am taking t3 instead much to the dismay of my gp and endo.  However I feel a million times better than i did on just Levo.

I would also say it does depend on what you dose currently is and how far down the path you are.   Do you have hashimotos, if so then going gluten free is a great idea.  No tap water only filtered. If your going the dentist no metal fillings only white ones.

Caffine for some is a lifeline for me I have given it up and it has helped along i do occasionally treat myself.  I have found that the filtered water was quite a big deal with headaches etc.

everyone is different.   Can I ask why do you not want to take the levo?

I basically do not eat it if has packaging on it.  Standard healthy diet does help.  Ps being a vegie is not always good and my dad has started eating meat again and this has helped him with certain vits and minerals.  Unless you just want to take pills and supplements for everything.

• Posted

Levo did not work on me.  i was not absorbing it well.  I am on Cytomel (Liothyroxine),  which is fine for me. I am an RN and live in USA.  I feel better on it. I have been on other meds but this one works on me. Since everyone is so different, it is hard to say. I used Armour Thyroid before but you can find what works for you. Diet alone will not help replace the hormone. Some people believe in chinese herbal supplements and homeopathic, but I am not sure it will work.  There are a lot of thyroid meds on the market, be an advocate for yourself and ask the GP or Endo to try another one. Some doc's get into prescribing a favorite med.  i hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.