Any success stories recovering from Afib?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, first post here....

I developed Afib in January 2021 while trying to come off a medication called amitriptyline (tricyclic antidepressant). Originally it was just one of many withdrawal symptoms, and I was so ill in so many ways i wasn't overly worried about it. Even upon reinstating amitriptyline, the withdrawal symptoms didn't all fade, and i was left with some neurological symptoms and some autonomic issues too.

Afib has persisted since then, perhaps slightly better these last few months than in 2021, but i'm not even sure and any improvement may be down to wishful thinking.

Overall, the situation isn't critical: my resting heart rate is usually in the 80s to 90s without medication (vs 60-70 before the issues), with palpitations elevated heart rate for protracted periods after any brisk walking, and for a minute or so upon getting up rapidly. On my holter test, getting up at night to go to the toilet led to a heart rate reaching 140 for example.

I have now decided to go down the medication route, something i had avoided up to now considering my prior experience with amitriptyline which hasn't exactly filled me with confidence. But i need to be able to exercise and have a few drinks here or there to live a happy life.

I've been trying ivabradine so far, but to minimnal results (only been 8 days), and am considering trying beta blockers if no major improvements.

I'd like to stay hopeful that my condition will improve with time, but i think at this point it's important to be honest with myself and acknowledge that maybe there will never be a return to complete normal.

Has anyone experienced protracted afib from coming off medication / did it go away eventually?

Other important question:

it is my understanding that beta blockers act on the CNS. Does this mean that any chances of naturally healing my CNS will be off, if i take medication to mask the problem? so far i have, made a point of giving my nervous system time and calm to get better on its own. ivabradine doesn't act on the brain hence why i was ok with trying it.

would be grateful for any advise / experiences in healing etc...

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.