Any success stories with the Lapidus bunionectomy procedure?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Are you able to exercise regularly and intensely after you have healed/recovered? Are you able to wear heels? Is there no remaining residual pain and swelling left after the foot has been healed and possibly a few month have passed since the procedure? Would you recommend I get this procedure done? I'm in my late 20s so exercise and shoe selection are very important to me, I don't wont to be limited whatsoever as I currently am not even though I have pretty severe bunions. Any success stories would be amazing to hear about! Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, i am 12 weeks post op and and would say i can do most things now. Not tried heels but have worn some boots with a small heel and been fine!

• Posted

Hey Kate! Do you have range of motion in your big toe? Do you feel any pain still whatsoever? Do you think you'd be able to exercise at this point? How hard would you say was the recovery? I'm guessing you would recommend the Lapidus procedure?

Thanks!

• Posted

I can't bend it on its own but I can wiggle it with my fingers, i have ran a mile pain free and played netball also done a kickboxing youtube video and have been fine so i'm happy, in the cold weather the last two days its felt a bit uncomfortable but i've not had to have any painkillers since week 3 of my op.

• Posted

my recovery has been fine the first week was hell on earth but you soon forget that! see my other posts if you can for photos.

• Posted

Hi,

I had my surgery in August of 2019 and then after my first follow up I learned from my Doc that the guide wire broke and was floating through my foot. He said that it wouldn't cause complications(wrong). I went to every follow up appt all the way to October when he suggested that we go in and remove the wire and remove hardware due to inflammation due to a reaction that he believed to be a nickel sensitivity. On October 25th I went under the knife again both through my arch to retrieve the wire that was stuck in a tendon and through the old incision to remove the hardware and to scrape scar tissue from joint. He told me at several visits that my union/bone was healed and to start getting back to normal exercise. I started going for walks, bowled a couple of times and went Christmas tree hunting to only find out from my chiropractor and massage therapist that things didn't feel right. My chiropractor referred me to a different doctor who did xrays and gave me the bad news. We have a failed union. 😦 This new doc says that he doesn't recommend surgery but to use orthotics and other measures. I sure wish I would have gone to him first. Now I'm five months out and still not healed. He told me that I will need a bone stimulator and physical therapy. I ordered my orthotics today and start with pt next week. I still have zero mobility in my toe joint and terrible scar tissue from the botched wire retrieval. My advice... get 2nd and 3rd opinions. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.