any suggestion eating plan after Gallsbaddlers surgery ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Day 2 after surgery i still have side effect of being Nausea and constipation and i try to stop taking painkiller while i can tolerate the pain . Anyone has any suggestion of eating plan after surgery can i eat cereal and oatmeal or carrot juice something like that ? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you are taking any opium based pain killers, you need to watch your constipation. People say that you just want to stay away from high fat foods after your gallbladder is out. Remember that you have just cut of the fosset that controls your bile. So your liver is just leaking bile in your intestines all day.. Small meals more times a day. 
  • Posted

If you are still having nausea call your doctor and they can prescribe something for it. After I had my gallbladder surgery I really wasn't that hungry for about 3 days afterwards.I drank plenty of fluids.I ate canned peaches,pears and fruit cocktail.I also ate ritz crackers to help settle my stomach.Just remember to stay away from greasy foods and foods with alot of fat.I did eat cereal too but with lowfat milk.Hope this helps.Take care.
  • Posted

When I had gallstones I was on a low fat diet. Now I am beginning to introduce one or two things.

I found some reduced fat hard cheese and had some. However I had bad stomach ache last night and was back on stronger pain killers, so I will maybe leave the cheese for a bit. I am only 2 weeks post op.

People are so different it is just a case of trying something and see what happens. I have always been OK with spicy stuff but quite a few people who have gallstones are not OK with this.

I have lost quite a bit of weight so really need to be putting a bit back on.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

I'm 8 days post op. and I have been lucky in that I have had very little nausea.  I have kept to a strict no fat diet and drinking plenty of water and carrot and apple juice.  The foods which I find easy on the digestive system are porridge made with light soya milk, white bread and orange marmalade, semolina made with soya milk, boiled or steamed green veg like greens, green beans,  but not cabbage.  I also find apples very good and bananas, strawberries, pears.  One of the foods which kept me going before the op and also now is jelly.  I've lost 8 kilos and am trying to regain just 5!  I do have problems with constipation as well and am eating allbran with light soya milk.  I believe its fairly common to have nausea  after this op., hopefully it will fade over the next few days.
  • Posted

Thats all normal after surgery.

I have lived on soup.

Slowly introduced boiled eggs

I have to be very careful with what i eat. My op was 20th april but still suffering with nausea and wind.

I would avoid cereals.

You want plain foods like soup and rice.

• Posted

Oh thanks paddygirl just what I needed to hear.

I had my op 29th April. Why do they tell you it is a 3 week recovery period? What nonsense.

As you point out we are still recovering. I have no nausea or wind. Had diarrhoea for a few days and my stools are stilll a bit loose.

Getting a bit of pain in my right side (where it was with gallstones) but not nearly as bad as it was.

I think I thought I was doing so well that went back to other food too quickly so being a lot more careful now.

Do take care and keep in touch.

Love Sarah xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.