Any suggestions?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’m 76 and have far too high BP readings – the systolic pressure can be in the 170s for days on end, especially in the winter months. I’m 6 feet tall, weigh 10.5 stones, walk 2 miles daily (weather permitting), have a very modest alcohol intake, eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg, avoid salt, have never smoked, am not stressed (other than resulting from BP readings!), and am on a daily cocktail of BP medications. I sense my GP is as bemused as I am.Any thoughts on other lifestyle choices I might make in an effort to counter this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Are you getting enough sleep? Not getting enough sleep can make a difference. You should be getting 7 - 7 1/2 hours a night.

Something else you might try is a probiotics supplement. On Dr. Oz's show, he had Dr. Neal Barnard, who said new studies show probiotics supplements used for 8 weeks or more can lower blood pressure by 10 points. He recommeds you make sure that there are 2 or more strains in the supplement and to look to make sure there are 1 billion or more CFU's. He says to take 30 minutes before a meal or with a  meal for best absorption. 

I haven't tried the probiotics yet, but it might be worth checking out.

Something else you might ask your doctor about is CoQ 10. It's needed in your body, and your body normally makes it, but as you get older, it makes less of it. Taking statin drugs actually depletes the CoQ 10, so that may help. But be sure to check with your doctor about taking it since you're on medication. It can affect drugs like warfarin.

Hope this helps! : )

• Posted

Hello George, you're doing brilliantly for your age.  The phrase "..especially in the winter months" caught my eye.  After an operation 8 months ago my BP has been round 155-160 - having never been above 120 in 66 years......my doc wanted to put me on meds but I disappeared for 3 months, determined to manage it by natural methods. I searched the web - I don't know what worked - I tried many things. However, I did cut back on sodium/caffeine (neither of which are heavy as I am a cook) - I also never smoked and walk many km per week for fun. However, a US doctor said - signifantly I think - that people born in the tropics don't have high blood pressure! He recommends high doses of Vit D (I was on 5 mg a day) and magnesium is also essential, though I think it was magnesium OIL rubbed on the skin frequently. I took tablets for that, and also 75 mg of Vit D per day........I've never in my life used pills for anything, and had little hope of it succeeding. However, I went back after 3 months (instead of the one the doc set as a deadline).  Incredibly my BP had sunk to 125/130 - but to ask me what worked, I can't tell of course.  Another method used was Japanese, 640 ml of water when waking, THEN clean your teeth, no food or drink for 45 mins. After meals no drinks for 2 hours.  These were the only methods I used (in conjunction) and still follow because they appear to work.  I have no knowledge (or interest!) in Things Medical but my doctor thought it was amazing.  Good luck and stay off the pills if possible.
    • Posted

Just realised the cold weather increases bp that's why they say don't clear snow in the cold makes it much higher, when do you take it ?
  • Posted

At six foot you are if anything underweight,

How does your systolic measure, what meds you on?

• Posted

Hi. Some good replies so far. A few more suggestions for you. Introduce beetroot into your diet as well as garlic. Avoid coffee and cut down on tea. Cut out processed foods inc packet sauces etc. Your exercise regime is excellent and your weight/height ratio is fine. Sometimes small changes can make a big difference. Try the above and check bp with a home monitor every day and track the trends. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for all the responses. I check BP late evening every day. I have 9–10 hours sleep nightly. I’m on Lisinopril, Lercanipidine, Bendrofluazide, and a statin – all 10mg daily. 

The probiotics suggestion sounds worthwhile but I need to reduce my systolic readings by 30–50 points rather than 10. I’ll certainly try the garlic/beetroot recommendation and will reduce tea/coffee consumption. Will report back in due course.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.