Any suggestions for burning urethra after Urolift?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a Urolift done over six weeks ago. There has been no change in my frequency of getting up to urination, but now I have a new problem, a burning urethra aggravated by sitting or when my bladder or bowel is full. I've seen two urologists about this and they have no answers other than it will get better or take some medication for a sensitive bladder. I was given Betmiga and Vesicare (couldn't tolerate either one).

Anyone have a similar experience any suggestions at what may help to relieve this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i haven't had this procedure but would say give it more time. sorry

• Posted

I am now 6 weeks out and have had some similar problems. I have found that first thing in the morning, I drink two large glasses of water. I hydrate heavily until lunch. After lunch, I have water or tea with dinner, but that is it. I get some flushing and relief during the day. In the morning, it is back to burning.

• Posted

Hmmm. Two people with the same problem after Urolift. Maybe there is something going on here. The symptoms you both have reminded me of UTI or bladder stones, which often occurred after any transurethral procedures.

• Posted

I'm a month out from a button plasma procedure and had the severe symptoms you mention for the first three weeks. Frequency and burning were non stop for the first three weeks. In contacting my urologist, I was put on oxybutynin 5mg daily a week after the surgery. (the doc also mentioned my prostate being wrapped up around the bladder neck.) It took the suggested two weeks before I really noticed help with oxybutynin. I did however notice the dry mouth and blurry vision just a few days after starting it. Several others on the site have mentioned theories about the bladder neck not being supported after prostate procedures and I fully agree. So, I pursued other ideas. Here's what I think helped me along: I used Sudafed which seemed to help a great deal during the day. Be careful that you select times that do not effect sleep. I also combined Pumpkin seed extract capsules, Vinpocetine, and a supplement called Securi_T for help with the bladder. Frequency and the burning sensation have decreased quite a bit with these additions. My issues are now scabs sloughing off and occasional bleeding. I am looking into agrimony for the bleeding and further help with the bladder. I hope this helps!

• Posted

Lance, how are you now? I'm considering button turp. thanks

• Posted

Hello John. In starting the 5th week since the button, I can say flow is great. There is no problem with emptying the bladder. I see the frequency and penis tip irritation as the biggest issue. For the first three weeks, I felt like I had a motion sensor in my penis...move and go! I believe my uro made a mistake in not considering the bladder neck issue as part of the healing process. I did practice kegals for a month prior but the real issue seems to me to be the bladder adjusting to the new found freedom. Hence, my pursuit of supplements etc to help with the bladder. The items I previously listed did/do help. The main issue now is bleeding and scabs. That seems to be diminishing as I pound more water. I saw the button procedure as necessary. With the obstruction and wrap around the bladder neck, I was going to have issues one way or the other. Let me know if you have any more questions!

• Posted

. are you voiding more or less frequently than before? how is your sleeping? do you get up less often now? all in all are you glad you did it?

• Posted

After I took the catheter out, I was voiding every 50 minutes, night and day. Admittedly, it was driving me crazy. Now, the voiding has slowed substantially to more of a normal pace; subject to how much water/liquid I drink. I've had to add more water to help flush the scabs. There's much less irritation and burn. As far as nighttime goes, I'm now at getting up two times a night. A slight improvement from pre treatment and I'm hopeful to cut it down to once a night. Am I glad that I did it? I saw it as a necessity honestly and as each week goes along, I'm happier that I did and think things will continue to improve to a normal routine. I'm not looking for restrooms all the time, or figuring out how my day goes by toilet locations nearly as much and soon hope to not deal with it at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.