Any thought on caffeine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have to admit to not having been on this forum for a while. I was diagnosed with Graves back in 2013, had a year on Carbimazole and have been off it for over two years with no recurrence of symptoms (**touches wood**). As my heart rate was so high when diagnosed, I was told to avoid caffeine which wasn't hard as I'd actually been off it for a while at that point anyway (I'd had a few issues with sleeping and thought I'd give it a try). I drink mostly herbal teas and water with an occasional decaf coffee (proper ground stuff and no more than one a day). However, I've been reading recent reports which say that caffeine - in moderation - can be good at preventing dementia.

There is no history of dementia in the family but I have to admit that it is the one disease that scares the hell out of me and I'm wondering if re-introducing a controlled amount of caffeine would be beneficial. I'm also wondering though whether it is likely to have any effect on my thyroid.  

Anyone with experience/knowledge who can share it with me?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations on your remission Karen.  Though all my thyroid values have been normal since 2009, I have remained on 2.5 mg of Methimazole 4 days a week.  I did go down to 3 days a week but had a drop in my TSH due to workplace stress.  Even though my thyroid values were not out of range, I am reluctant to totally give up the Methimazole as that low a dose does not bother me.  However, I have always been a coffee drinker.  I try not to drink more than 2 cups a day but I have heard that 1 cup a day is what is usually recommended.  I haven't done much research on coffee drinking and hyperthyroidism and have not encountered any problems I feel due to coffee drinking.  I am really aware when I have dramatic differences in my lab values, it is usually due to an excessive stressful event.

• Posted

Thanks Linda. Glad you are keeping well too. I think I'm going to start introducing it slowly alongside my decaf and see how I go. If I start getting any sleep problems or racing heart, I'll just cut down again.  There are so many conflicting health reports out there, I find things really confusing sometimes!  I guess the old fashioned advice of "everything in moderation" is the best to follow!

• Posted

You are very lucky to have been able to stay off Carbimazole , Karen! 

when I developed Graves disease in 2012 , my heart rate was so fast I coudl not even take a phone call on my  cell phone while walking as talking would leave me breathless. I have since been on Carbimazole, different dosages, now down to 2,5 mg 6 days a week , but have never been able to give up coffee. Initially I would limit it to one cup at breakfast, now it s 3-4 cups a day and I dont seem t have any problems with that.

Indeed recent research has found that coffee is beneficial both to prevent the onset of dementia and also , odd as it may seem, in some cardiovascular diseases.

I think drinking 1cup  a day or so should  not cause any major issue,since your heartbeat is now normal. Decaffeinated coffee still has a small percentage  of caffeine,  so if your consumption is limited, you may want to drink the real thing?

• Posted

Thanks Tatiana. Yes, I thank my lucky stars that I only needed a year on Carbimazole and I'm hoping that things stay the same. I realise that even decaf coffee has a small amount of caffeine in it so, as long as I increase my amounts a little at a time, I think you're right that I should be OK (and I can always go back if things change). Thanks again and I hope you stay well.

• Posted

Well done Karen! 

I have given caffein up due to the heart rate, like yourself... I only drank decaf for a few weeks, only reintroduced one coffee (with caffeine) per day now that Carbimazole had its effects and my heart rate and sleeping has improved. I had no issues reintroducing caffeine.

• Posted

Hi Rita. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to reintroduce gradually and see how I go. Glad the Carbimazole is working for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.