Any thoughts

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've been on 150mg of Venlafaxine for nearly 8 weeks and they are working great. My generalised anxiety disorder is nearly gone and my humour is coming back and I feel a lot better after a long struggle.

The reason I'm posting in here is because I'm not quite 100%. I'm am working with the tablets by doing CBT and mindfulness etc but my body is still nervous and shaky plus I can't get a belly breath yet. I do have anxious thoughts from time to time but would anyone advise for me to wait or for me to increase to 225mg per day as I feel I'm close but not relaxed enough and still quite uptight. I don't want to increase unless I have too for obvious reasons.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

James, it is an excellent antidepressant etc just don't let them leave you on it for years plus. Withdrawal is difficult Yes but it is for all these types of medication. You can't mess with the brain without effect.

In your case with it working so well I'd be inclined to up the dose. It can give you your life back.

• Posted

Thanks for you reply Linda, my plan is not to withdraw from it. Ive been on citalopram before they didn't help as much as these do. I went through 2 years of intense counselling and CBT and 2 years of advanced mindfulness training until I was so bad that my face was twitching from the GAD. I finally went to a psychiatrist and he said I have a chemical imbalance as both my parents have it. Do you think the tablets will eventually rewire my brain so to speak and I will be able to come off them and be normal?

• Posted

Hey James

I know what you mean, its not an easy decision. I decided to increase from 150 to 225 mg as I has plateaud somewhat and had no particular side effexts. Seems to have been the right decision as I feel pretty good. I had pretty bad anxiety and depression. Good luck

• Posted

Yep you can always decrease in unlikely event in doesn't suit you.In any case Ven is supposed to act as an SNRI rather than just an SSRI at 225 mg and above.

• Posted

If you're feeling better I'd give it longer. Although they say it takes a few weeks it can take much longer. Don't be in a rush to go on higher doses. You should discuss with GP re increasing. Good luck

• Posted

Just read your other replies. All I can say is don't assume higher doses mean a happier life. Be careful

• Posted

Thanks, it's not so much my happiness I'm concerned about more my nerves and my shallow breathing. I think I'm going to stay positive and increase. I've been to my GP and they are happy to increase but I feel thet go off whatever I say. Things need to get better with mental health support but that's a different subject all together lol

• Posted

Well done for staying positive James and good luck. Must admit I decided to increase and then told my gp.btw I take immediate release tablets and take 2x 75 mg at breakfast and then 1x 75g about 6pm
    • Posted

Cheers, I'm glad they work for you too. Same I'm on immediate release too. Its a hard battle I just hope people stick with them as they have some bad press due to the start up side effects but they are very good.

• Posted

James, I have been on Efexor at a dose of 450 for 30 plus years. I also have down CBT and mindfulness, yoga and Meditation.

I was started on meds because I had a teenage daughter "acting out" Turns out she is Bipolar and has become an all out drug addict. Then I had cancer meds were upped, radiotherapy caused heart complaint meds upped. Anyhow long story. I did find Efexor to be a great help but the maximum dose is supposed to be 225 mg. after so many years suddenly all sorts of other medical problems started exerting themselves. This was when I found a new doctor who truly listened to me. So trying to drop to at least maximum dose. I've explained to my gp that I may have to stay on an antidepressant, I fully understood that but I was worried about excess dosing. One Gp tried me on 6 x 150mg which I never took.

Anyhow I wish you the best. As I say I found it to be a very good med. you need to take at same time everyday. I also keep a diary of odd things that happen, like a fall day etc. we all blame the doctor but sometimes we don't give them all the clues!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.