Any tips on handling mental fatigue?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, since 2016 I have been diagnosed with graves disease/hyperthyroidism. The mental fatigue aren't as bad as when I was untreated but I still struggle with the mental fatigue. Because I always feel tired I need to take a nap during the day to not end up with headache and I lose motivation to do things. I just don't feel any energy most of the days but at least I try to go around it.

The problem is that I keep on pushing myself through the mental fatigue that's been looming over me which sometimes end up with me crashing. But how do you all handle the mental fatigue, that won't want to go away how much you rest and don't stress.

I never had any problems before my thyroid problems

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have hyperthyroidism also and experience mental fatigue. Now that I am on proper thyroid medication, this has helped. On the bad days, I allow myself to nap and I also meditate. Meditation has taught me to focus on one thing at a time and actually helps to clear my mind and brain fog. Sometimes just closing my eyes for a few minutes makes a huge difference.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks for the tips, I often take a nap everyday to handle my mental fatigue. But sometimes I skip taking my nap during the day because I have things to do and don't have time.

I'll try to listen to my own body better than what I have been doing.

• Posted

You're welcome and life does get busy. It can be hard to nap every day. Now that I'm laid off due to covid I have the time to nap but before then I didn't. It was a struggle with mental fog that's for sure. All we can do is our best. It's a tough disease to manage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.