Anybody been on Cosentyx ?

Posted , 25 users are following.

And if so, plase supply some feedback.

Also, is it true that remecade is the choice of drug for AS patients?

I was on humera for a short spell and the results were not good so I went back on remecade.

Eventually once  again  I would like to "try" something else, humera was not the answer and embryl will probably not work either.

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jim

I dont know about Remecade.  I am on Enbrel and Sulfasazadine.  Only 2 weeks on Enbrel and feel pretty awful for 3 days after the 50 ml pencil injection and no change to the back and SI joint pain nor fatigue and headache and chest pain.  Can you tell me about your experience with Enbrel?  I have been told Humira is good?  (by a Rheumotolgist) though Enbrel has less side effects.  All the best.

• Posted

Never was on Enbrel. Tried Humera with disastrous results.  Our bodies all react differently to the biological drugs out there. I was on Sulfasazadine about 12 years ago but built up an immunity to it. Next line of defense is methotrexate. After that an combination of methotrexate and biologicals. been on biologicals for ~12 years with methotrexate and occasionally have flare ups. Considered many times to switch to something else and one of my choices would (possibly) be Cosenoix. That's how this discussion originated: me asking about users of this drug.

The ONLY dislike for Remecade is the infusions every 7 weeks with the driving and 2.5 hour downtime.

• Posted

Thx Jim, sorry I misread that you had been on Enbrel.  You are right it is difficult to find the right medication.  I think part of it is understanding the progress of the disease and managing your lifestyle (and the pain) as well as a drug that helps with all that!  So far neither NSAIDS Sulfasalazine and now Enbrel seem to have little benefit but maybe they are doing alot more than if I was on nothing at all!  12 years is a long time to be on Biologicals and I hope they continue to help you with minimal adverse effects (which ever it may be). K
    • Posted

NP!

Kay, it is time for U to be on something more potent. Once the damage (fusing) is done you cannot turn the clock back. Me, I maintain my sanity/health by exercising daily: yoga, spinning, pilattes, sculpt and tone, hard bodies, etc. Have to watch my sugar intake...diffuclt to accomplish but the benefits outweigh the consequences. Rhume told me that remecade was the best treatment and so far she has been correct. I was in sulsafine for 2-3 years and it did seem to help for a spell, but my body developed an immunity to it and had to go with something more powerful which was methotrexate, and then combo of methotrexate and remecade. I am awaiting the comments from Cosentyx, as to my inquiry about how their drug works differently than remecade.

will keep in touch,

Jim

• Posted

Jim I agree with the exercise and diet.  I have cut out Dairy and Gluten, ofcourse one gets xaught out every now and then when a restaurnat tells 'fib's' about what is in the food!  And exercise too, I do my own physio at home, swim and walk (though that seems to hurt these days).   Enjoy this and ambition is to do Yoga or Pilates.  I am on Enbrel now.   Side and long term affects of these drugs concern me greatly though on the really bad pain and fatigue days one is grateful.  Occasionaly i take pain medications too and use the cream.  I would love to be certain what triggers the worst days.??!!!  My brother has As very early in life and has no drugs and no xray damage now at 60 years old, by lifestyle.  I am unable to work for some time now but hope to again in the future. K

• Posted

For me, change in weather (barometric pressure) will trigger it, possibly U 2.  I need more sleep during those times, and I push myself less. Side/long term effects are there YES, but if U weigh your options you are still better with a biologic.

You have to think of who made up the side effects? probably attornys to protect the mother company. Crap, more people die from aspirin (and aspirin deritives) than car accidents. You do not see this kind of warnings on the aspirin bottles.

We just need to outlive to the day that they can solve this riddle that we have. Myself, I do not like being treated for the effects and not the cause either. We have about a handful of choices out there.

• Posted

Hi I'm currently on cosentyx and it's possibly the best thing Iv ever done I went from from not sleeping from back pain and pain around my ribs to no pain at all and I'm only on my third injection Iv had AS for over 10 years now with a fair few flair ups in that time I'm 30 btw but I can now safely say I'm excited for the future these injection have given me back my life I highly recommend them!

• Posted

That is so great! Just curiously, why is that the drug of choice, and not Humira, Remecade or other biologics? I'm pretty sure I'm going to start a biologic in a couple months and I'm still not sure which one I'm choosing.

• Posted

Well I had a choice of all of them and was told they were all slow acting taking a good month before the results were seen but with cosentyx it works straight away and I was also keen on trying something new and so far I have no complaints but with it being relatively untried im not sure what the future holds but atleast I'm now away from taking 6 tablets a day and having regular injections in my back which is amazing and money saving!!

• Posted

Awesome, happy to hear that. My rhume. has a few patients with AS and she said that one of them is on cosentyx-that was 3 months that she told me. I will be seeing her next month and will inquire about status. So do U self inject yourself? and at what frequency?

• Posted

Yes I do self inject once a week at the moment then I move to once a month in two weeks it's just a simple epi pen it takes about 1 minute to inject

• Posted

I been on cosentyx for 3 months and seen a dramatic improvement in my AS flare. During my flare I have tried embrel, humara, and a new drug called acthar, I got more relief from acthar than the others. But I seem to have better results with cosentyx as soon as I finished my loading dose. Good luck in finding what works.
  • Posted

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed after suffering with RA for 17 years. Would say I am chronic at the moment and so tired I just want to lie down and sleep but I know that's probably the worst thing I could do!! Due to start Cosentyx next week but concerned about side effects. Read on here that someone had to have their bowel removed after difficulties and they said they were sure the drug caused this, although medical professionals won't accept that. 

My initial concern is lung problems as on Methotrexate I contacted Pneumonia. Scared in case I get the same problem. 

Would really appreciate Consentyx feedback.

Thanks

• Posted

Rhume. had me stay on Remicade as she was not impressed with Cosentyx results.

ALL of the biological drugs make a person more susceptible to colds, viral and other assortment of illnesses.

To protect you from SOME strains of pneumonia their are injections available.

Do that, for sure.

Wash hands religiously, stay away from sick people...etc.

• Posted

I am 53 diagnosed with AS about three years ago. I have been treated with Indomethicin, Methotrexate and Humira. 

Recently I had an unprovoked pulmonary embolism. I have since stopped the Indomethicin and Humira. They were replaced with Cosentyx. I took my first shot five days ago without a loading dose. 

Now I am not a sales rep for Cosentyx and I know its only been five days, but I feel better than I have felt in years. It may just be a coincidence that I am feeling this good, only time will tell.

Cameron

• Posted

Hello Cameron, Just curious if your still experiencing improvement with Cosentyx? I'm 51 and was diagnosed with AS in my late 20's  and have been taking Humira for several years now, but, thinking of making a change to Cosentyx. My doctor added Gabapentin about 6 months and thats really helped, however, hopefully more improvement to come.

Harold

• Posted

surprised U are on Gabapentin. Methotrexate is the typical drug that they add with the biological drugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.