Anybody else get weird adrenaline surges?

Posted , 11 users are following.

These are driving me insane! They'll just happen out of nowhere and last for a couple of minutes. I was just sitting at my desk trying to do some work started feeling a little jittery, then the adrenaline rush hit and my heart started pounding hard and fast. I have read this is common with perimenopause.... does anyone else to go through this and what do you do about it?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello! When I first started going through peri I would have terrible heart palpitations. I noticed I would start having them days before my period would start.  Sounds like it could be from peri but it wouldn’t hurt to talk to your Dr to make sure everything is ok with your heart. 
    • Posted

Hi Maria! I’m sorry I never saw this....mine did basically stop. But now I’m having periods again (after 10 1/2months) and they are starting up again. But no hot flashes 😊

• Posted

Hi klm, all anxiety... Its awful just be glad it's only lasting a couple minutes, just imagine feeling that way all day and it doesn't let up!! The anxiety during peri/meno is so so so hard to handle.. But with some meditation, and breathing to keep it from turning into a full blown panic attack you should be fine and should be able to control it with some different techniques.. Lots of things can trigger these attacks crowds, lights , bad tv/movies, sometimes you can have an attack out of your sleep, has to do with high levels of cortisol hormone, and feels like you just drank 17 cups of coffee, not a very good feeling. Learn to breathe and meditate through your episodes, and avoid caffeine processed foods and sugars, to keep attacks to a minimum. Maybe see a therapist for some CBT therapy if you get worse, mine always got worse before I felt any relief.. Its a nasty time in life for us all going through this but hopefully time will ease most or all symptoms! Hope you feel better soon and it doesn't escalate for you..

• Posted

Hi Kim,oh yes last night my heart take off in bed this is the first time my heart race like this it was frightening I got out of bed went to the toilet and jump back in and it kept pounding till it calm down..which it would go away have been having palpitations for 6 years  now and fed up with it maybe cause by adrenaline rushes.
    • Posted

The exact thing happens to me some mornings!!! I can't stand it, if that would go away I could handle all of the other perimenopause symptoms just fine

• Posted

Kim you LUCKY..mine is mostly hot with lightly sweating, in the day break out in a heat suddenly hoping now come post in January they don't get worst just stay as they are.

• Posted

hi, same with me today , just siting doing nothing ,my blood pressure was high ,and i can't sleep ,am sweeting ,and stomach pains. i have been using hotflash and nightsweat remedy and it works but today i dont know why .am 45 years old. 9 months , with out my period . i have my simptoms almost everyday

• Posted

Someone in another discussion commented that I should do some reading on adrenal surges...she said it's what I described. Happens to me a lot, including times like this morning where there was no apparent trigger. It's maddening. It felt a little like a low-sugar episode. Shaky, heart pounding, tingling in chest and arms and a feeling that was more like fear than anything else. It is very unsettling though and it's hard to get back to normal - even when the extreme feeling has passed. I'm 18 months post-menopause.   

• Posted

Hi! I’ve been searching the internet for this exact issue! I’m having weird adrenaline rushes that cause a lot of anxiety afterwards. Have these stopped for you?? Also, I don’t get hot flashes- just these surges... help..
    • Posted

Hi!! Yes they have mostly stopped. I'll get small adrenaline rushes every now and then but they were nothing like they used to be. For about 3 or 4 months they would happen and my pulse rate would go up, I felt jittery, I couldn't sit still and I felt the need to get up and do something. When I have them now they are nowhere like they used to be and I just focus on something else until they go away. Don't worry, it gets better!

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding!!! Did you have sleep issues along with these surges by chance? I also am very easily started. Did you experience that as well?

TIA!!!!

• Posted

Yes I did! It was very hard to sleep and I also was very easily startled... even the least little noise around the house would make me jump.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.