Anybody else had a bad reaction to Tramadol?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was prescribed Tramadol for chronic pain, I chose to take one tablet each time instead of 2.  After taking 5 tablets across 2 days I started to feel very strange, I was confused, emotional, coudn't think straight.  I contacted out of hours who arranged for me to see a GP.  Unfortunately before I got to the GP I suffered stroke like symptoms eg face drooped, speech slurred, eyes shut and wouldn't open, left arm drooped.  My husband called an ambulance etc.  After an MRI and seeing both a stroke consultant and neurologist consultant it was agreed that what happened was a bad reaction to Tramadol and not a stroke.  These symptoms aren't described in the leaflet.  Since then (7 weeks ago) I am suffering with chronic fatigue and I walk sideways after 3 or 4 steps.  The Neurologist has told me this is due to the stress/trauma of what my body went through caused by the Tramadol and he doesn't know how long it will be until I recover.  Just wondering if anybody else has suffered something similar and how long it took them to recover. Thanks

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Serotonin syndrome symptoms usually occur within several hours of taking a new drug or increasing the dose of a drug you're already taking. Signs and symptoms include:

Agitation or restlessness

Confusion

Rapid heart rate and high blood pressure

Dilated pupils

Loss of muscle coordination or twitching muscles

Muscle rigidity

Heavy sweating

Diarrhea

Headache

Shivering

Goose bumps

• Posted

Those aren't exactly typical symptoms of Serotonin Toxicity, but that's still the most likely suspect. Here's a list of substances known to cause this when taken with tramadol:  Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), amphetamines, meperidine (demerol), dextromethorphan, buspirone (BuSpar), St. John's wort, triptans (migraine medicines), ecstasy, metoclopramide, ondansetron, and cocaine.

• Posted

Ah, OK, thanks. I was on 10mg Citalopram and taking Naproxen as prescribed by GP too for the pain. Do you know how long it would take to fully recover as it's been 7 weeks and been given no indication as to how long before I'm fully recovered.

Thanks for replying smile

• Posted

I would think that your serotonin should be back in balance by now, although some people may take longer. Your doctor may be correct about neurological damage that you have not yet recovered from. A quick look around the internet leads me to believe that serotonin syndrome (which would be more correctly called serotonin toxicity) can narrow blood vessels in your brain, which can cause a sort of a transient ischemic attack (TIA). This is a type of stroke. And, according to your symptoms, this sounds like what has happened to you. If this is the case, your brain will take some time to recover and/or establish new connections. These types of TIA don't usually do as much damage as the clot type, so it probably isn't as bad as it sounds.

• Posted

Thank you! I thought it was a TIA too as my Dad has suffered with these so know a bit about them.

Will just have to continue to take it easy and let my body recover I guess. Neurologist has recommended physio to help with fatigue and walking sideways so that's the next step.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Physio as in physiotherapy. Normally for muscoskeletal but saw one today and she's highlighted quite a few things to help with my balance and walking, been sent home with lots of specific exercises to do. Am hoping I won't keep falling forwards, stumbling and walking sideways within a few weeks smile

• Posted

Hi

I have had over 20 different painkillers over a four year period and I can say that the symptoms I had with Tramadol were the worst I have ever felt.My face drooped like yours and the hospital thought I had a stoke.I was like a zombie and could not get out of bed.I stopped taken them and within a week I was back to my normal self. Please do not take them again.All the best.

• Posted

Your the first person that I've found had the same symptoms. It is an evil drug. I can understand why people take it for pain as it did help but I will never take them again. Hope you've found something different to help with your pain smile

• Posted

Hi

I have gone back to  takenco-codamol,a couple of my friends had the same symtoms as we did.I was having the most awful dreams as well.I hope you get better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.