anybody else had problems with clarithromycin?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm on my second day of taking clarithromycin I have been prescribed this because my doctor is unsure whether I have a chest infection or glandular fever as I'm currently in my fourth week of feeling I'll and even though I have stopped coughing as much I woke up took my son to school and when I got back I felt like I had not slept for days I've literally just woke up because I'm now really thirsty but I'm still exhausted I'm unsure whether to keep taking them I don't want to feel like this when I have to kids to take care of.

I have a funny taste in my mouth also.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think that you should phone NHS helpline or see you GP as soon as possible.

I had horrendous reactions to Claithromycin including the ones which you have experienced -  I will never take this  drug again - For me the effects got worse over the 5 days when I took them - Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for reply, i had to go back to my gp i had an allergic reaction and have now been given antibiotics i didnt think i was allergic to any medicine if it just have that affect on most people its bloody horrible ive never been out of it j felt like i had woken up from being put to sleep.
  • Posted

yes I have had and still have problems. I was given clarithromycin 500mg and metronidazole 400mg and antiacid for 7 days to get rid of H Pylrori.  About 2 days in My stomach was feeling terrible, metal taste in mouth.  I took Probiotics at the same time as I knew the damage these things can do to good gut flora and I've taken probiotics up to to day so thats 2 weeks on after finidshing antibiotics.  I very nearly didn't finish the course of antibiotics I felt so ill, stomach indescribable. On last day of antibiotics my tongue got cream coloured, swelled up, sore throat at one side, fisures on end of tongue, still suffering now, docs gave me something for tongue said it would clear up, rubbish, it partly has. Have awful taste in mouth still, stumoch still very unhappy to the point now it is affecting my daily life and have a lot of fatigue, going back to docs again.  I'd try and avoid these antibiotics like the plague if there was ever a next time, they must of killed off everything last thing in mys tomach and intestines. Suffering from constipation too. Going back to docs in 2 days about it... 
    • Posted

hi this drug works for some people without terrible side effects  but like you I experienced awful side effects and I will never take Clarithromycin again--feeling disorientated, fatigued , and just spaced out- and not in a good way!- also sore stomach and bowel problems - all in all not an experience to be repeated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.