Anybody experience withdrawal symptons when stopping Amlodipine?

Posted , 46 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I have decided to wean and eventually stop taking amlodipine. I started at 5 mgs per day and was getting some of the side effects that most people here on these discussion forums have experienced. I spoke to my gp about 3 weeks ago and she wanted me to continue taking the meds.

I was prescribed the meds because I was under a lot of stress and my bp was initally 223/114 on election day here in the US. I have less stress in my life and my bp had gone down to 158/86 at the start of Dec. I don't yet have a home monitor and my next gp appointment isn't until April.

I don't like the way my body was reacting to the meds while I was taking the full dosage. And I don't want to be hooked on something like this for the rest of my life just because of what I feel is the "flavor of the day" type of mentality that (some) doctors have in regards to their patients. 

I have been watching my sodium intake and have less stress in my life, thanks to my brother loaning me his daughters' car that wasn't being used.

Can anyone help me with this? Please? Thank you in advance. 

5 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I experienced no withdrawal -- but my level of fatigue returned to normal : NOT zero. However, my BP is now too high : We will see. . Modern meds are a problem -- They often do more harm than good, especially when one becomes anxious over the results. . Of course, our U S politics will make BP for anyone go up.
    • Posted

allenwoll...you're so right...readings can become quite high if one is anxious over ther results. I used to get high bp readings when I attended the Dr office because the blasted nurse didn't let me rest once I got into the inner office. Then, she put the cuff on me (loosely, I might add), & also there were times when I was standing. You can't get proper readings by doing these things!!!! Also, I was feeling tense vibes from my Dr. At one point he said "These readings HAVE to come down!!?? Well, what can I do about that!!??? I was taking my meds as prescribed, & never ever missed a tablet..no,not one! 

I'm at the point now where I don't permit the nurse to take my readings...but will allow the Dr. to do so.

• Posted

Im on amlodipine for 1 month and now i change to perindopril but it makes my bp so high pass few days..im ok without it for 2 days since my reading 130/80
    • Edited

The doctors themselves p**s me off. They don't LISTEN. But they are more than happy to write a prescription for some s**t that causes problems at least as bad as what they treat. My pharmacy was late on my refill and I couldn't wait for them. This was a blessing in disguise. I'm feeling better now that I'm off of amlodapine. The pharmacist was alarmed when I told her "I'm done, I'm not taking it anymore and I don't care what happens". I'd rather be dead. Maybe my doctor could get that right (but I doubt it). I've been researching doctor assisted suicide or suicide vacation heavily for some time now. It's more appealing than how I felt.

• Posted

Hi dan19828

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

I'm with you I honestly don't understand why this drug is be prescribed to people. Ive been on an off it for about a week didnt really have any symptoms until i started taking it consecutively as of the last 2 Days ive been taking it consistently and the problems i orginally went to the doctor for is Worse i went in because of dizziness while driving mostly and just not feeling like myself when i was off and on i didnt have much side effects now everything is hitting all at once im writing this at 4am cant sleep my heart is pounding papulation chest pain nervous or anxiety never experienced anything like this im so tired but cant sleep i dont think im going to continue taking this i agree the side affects are just to much i wonder if u stop taking drug will side affects stop completely i feel this drug is doing more harm than help which is sad we put our trust in what presume to be good caring doctors which never disclosed the side affects we spending our hard earned money to harm ourselves some times i cant feel my arms im sore on my chest and back this is the worst drug known to man only been taking consecutively for 2 days

bp normally 140/80 on the pill 122/90

• Posted

I was on amlodipine 5mg for about 3 months and had very sever side effects. I just stopped taking them and had no problem. I went back to my GP who prescribed other medication which I seen to getting on with at the moment.

Although I and still have some of the effects of the amlodipine 10 months on

• Posted

paul33163...it's quite permissible to just stop taking the Amlodipine. I have a good friend who is a Pharmacist, & I was told it wasn't necessary to wean off. I also got the same information from my Dr. & yet another Pharmacist. As you experienced, there are other medications out there, so nobody is stuck with Amlodipine. What a nasty drug that is!.
  • Edited

no definitely no withdrawal symptoms only grear relief that I no longer had  my daily poison dose of amlop. Now I no longer have to take BP tablets WHoopee
    • Edited

Exercise and diet are the key. But it's sticking with it that is difficult. I think it's the only way anymore. Fight to live, or give up. I don't want the in- between anymore.

• Posted

Hi Rozanne. No withdrawal symptoms,just relief!! On new BP drug plus Grape seed extract. I have been able to cut my 5mg dose of Lisinopril in half by taking the grape seed. Do ge ta good quality BP machine, worth paying the extra. Go back to your GP tell him/her that you want to change your meds.
    • Posted

Hi Nannylyn! I told my gp that if I continued to experience the "side effects" that I was going to wean and stop taking them. Of course she said that I should continue to take them and just get accustomed to them. The first then last time my bp was taken was at her office. It was 158/86... down from 173/92 when I was at my inital appointment with her on 11/6/14. 

Since my last dosage of 1/3 of the 5 mg pill that I have been prescribed to take, I have slowly been weaning myself off of it, I haven't experienced any negative side effects neither from the weaning nor the last time I took it on 12/18/14. I started this discussion because I want to know if there are any side effects that I might experience while weaning and then not taking the amlodipine,

The initial reason for my gp/the hospital doctor prescribing this was because I was under a lot of stress on election day and felt my heart pound hard, but not fast, or felt any dizziness. I have less stress in my life since then because my brother has loaned me his daughter's car and I am able to get around, make my own out and about schedule without having to wait for others to take me places within a limited time schedule.

• Posted

HI, I am glad to be on this site, I am experiencing leg swelling on my left leg and its scary. I was worried until I read about the amelodepine link. I am going to stop taking it and call the doctor about this because it worries me a great deal. I had no idea that this caused leg swelling. I have a dr appointment on the 25th, but if it gets worse I am going ot the E.R
    • Posted

Hi lenie95046..you didn't say how long you have been on the Amlodipine, nor the dosage. Yes, it'squite common for ankle/leg swelling while taking the Amlodipine, but more so with the 10mg dosage. That doesn't mean to say that anyone on 5mgs or less wouldn't suffer that as well. If your leg swelling is painful, you must contact your doctor right away. Usually, the swelling goes down, but returns the next day or so, especially when you continue with the Amlodipine. You don't have to wean off this medication..you certainly can stop abruptly. My own doctor confirmed with me that it stands to reason that there could be some physiological indications of the Amlodipine after stoppage. Makes sense to me, considering the length of time that chemical was in the body. Contact your doctor...don't just stop the medication without something to replace it.
    • Posted

Hi lennie,

My GP took me straight off of Amlopidine and put me on Lisinopril which was just as bad with other symptoms. Swollen legs and feet with the Amlopidine and a hacking cough which did not go away with the Lisinopril. Thought I would go insane, continual coughing day and night. I took myself off of the Lisinopril and went onto Grape seed extract for 6 or 7 weeks while the cough slowly cleared up. The Lisinopril causes kinins which are not dealt with by the kidneys, particularly if you are older. the kinins are toxic waste which gets into the blood stream and lodge in the lungs, the cough is the bodies way of clearning them out. My BP was pretty good on just the Grapeseed but I returned to my GP who was amazed the my BP was okish. She has now put me on a very low dose of Losartan, no side effects and with the 2 grapeseed extract a day my BP ranges between 135/88 - 115/75. Go back to your GP and do not put up with unpleasant symptoms.

• Posted

Nannylynn...I'm a little surprised that your GP may not have told you of the possible side effect of dry cough. Approximately 1 in 4 experience this, while others, including myself, do not. Also, it doesn't always happen that

the A.C.E. inhibitor causes kinins..it's possible, but again doesn't always happen which is another reason why monitoring by your doctor is important. Losartan is in the class of A.R.B.s..How much Grape Seed Extract do you take? I'm happy the combinatin of the Losartan & Grape Seed Extract is working for you...but I would never encourage anyone to stop medications without first consulting their doctor.

• Posted

My GP did tell me but said the cough would clear after a week or two. I researched Kinins and older people,whose kidneys are not working so efficiently, are very likely to suffer from the ACE cough due to build up of Kinins in the blood stream. I would only suggest doing what I did if you have a good quality BP machine and keep a regular check, I do not believe in taking chemicals if there is a natural remedy that does the job. I work with a Consultant, who is a great believer in natural remedies where appropriate, some thank goodness do exist. I am taking readings and filling in a chart for a month. So far my readings speak for themselves. I am able to take the lowest dose of Losarton with 200mg grapeseed daily and keep my BP at a good level. Today it was 130/85 in the morning and 115/78 at midday.

• Posted

Nannylynn...I'm certainly not a doctor, but I strongly disagree with what your doctor said about the cough clearing after a week or two. It doesn't clear. You either get the cough, or your don't. I have a few friends who were taking an A.C.E. Inhibitor, & they developed the cough in less than 1 week..a dry hacking cough that cause their ribs to be sore,AND it kept them awake at night. Once they were switched to somethinge else, not in the A.C.E. category, the cough went away, but it can take a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.