Anybody experience withdrawal symptons when stopping Amlodipine?

Posted , 46 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I have decided to wean and eventually stop taking amlodipine. I started at 5 mgs per day and was getting some of the side effects that most people here on these discussion forums have experienced. I spoke to my gp about 3 weeks ago and she wanted me to continue taking the meds.

I was prescribed the meds because I was under a lot of stress and my bp was initally 223/114 on election day here in the US. I have less stress in my life and my bp had gone down to 158/86 at the start of Dec. I don't yet have a home monitor and my next gp appointment isn't until April.

I don't like the way my body was reacting to the meds while I was taking the full dosage. And I don't want to be hooked on something like this for the rest of my life just because of what I feel is the "flavor of the day" type of mentality that (some) doctors have in regards to their patients. 

I have been watching my sodium intake and have less stress in my life, thanks to my brother loaning me his daughters' car that wasn't being used.

Can anyone help me with this? Please? Thank you in advance. 

5 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am on day 125 since stopping the Amlodipine. Although things are getting better with time, I am still experiencing all of the withdrawal symptoms. Anxiety, brain fog, dizziness, disorientation, confusion, fear, depression, headache, nausea and more. This stuff is poison. I had to leave my job and am currently on short term disability because of this poison. Sometimes I can go a week or so without an episode. Then they come back to haunt me every 3 or 4 days and last 24 to 36 hours. I am trying to get a month behind me symptom free before looking for another job. I may go broke in the process.

• Edited

I was prescribed the Amlodipine 5mg once a day due to high blood pressure with Daflon and compression stocking after giving birth (130-140/80-90). After 5 days, out of balance. Then shortness of breath, high heart rate and anxiety. BP became normal (110-120/80). My Cardio decreased dosage to half a tablet a day (2.5mg) after 1 month. Out of balance and shortness of breath happens in the afternoon if i am tired or have anxiety. BP still normal (120/80). Cardio decreased dosage to 1/4 tablet (1.25mg) after 2 months to taper. No shortness of breath, normal heart rate, no out of balance. After 4 months, stopped taking amlodipine. However, had withdrawal symptom. Shortness of breath. On the 10th day, shortness of breath was the worst but bp and heart rate are normal. I thought of giving in and take the amlodipine again but was thinking that the amlodipine will go out of my system after 12 days. i focused on God. On the 11th day, shortness of breath is gone. I feel ok now. Thank you, God!

• Edited

Hi Rosanne , i not been on patient for long time due to pandemic , but i too have come down from 10mg to 5mg , but as well as amlodipine do you take any water tabs say Bendroflumethiazide , From what i understand Besylate the stuff that is in Amlodipine is a Sulfonic Acid , hydrochloride is this stuff that is causing all the problems, plus does it leave you with dry mouth and drink loads of coffee/tea , me just been to Docs for review on my meds, but she would not believe how much tea i drink in a day , 18/20 , she said the most should be 3 or 4 , no wonder you have high blood pressure with all that caffeine , i said its lodipine that is causing a dry mouth , so if stop the amlodipine will dry mouth stop and then blood pressure will drop , wean myself off caffeine (tried it ohh what a headache) thought i was having a stroke lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.