Anybody experiencing double vision caused by medication?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My father was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia a few years back, lately his medications have caused him to see double and hes continuing to experience pain although he has taken his meds. His doctor isn't helping him in anyway, she speaks down to him and leaves him without advice after each visit. His vision has caused issues at work, he works heavy machinery and is now unable to do his job. His doctor will not provide notes for work and has left him helpless. His work has threatened to fire him due to his days missed from work, i was hoping someone on here would have ANY ADVISE!!

Our family deals with many issues and I worry everyday about my fathers well being, since he has been unable to find a solution to this problem I thought i would take this issue to the internet.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi sam

I dont know much about how trigeminal neuralgia is diagnosed. Has your father had an mri scan which diagnosed it? The reason I ask is because my trigeminal neuralgia which is fortunately only occasional, is caused by a benign tumour on the 2nd and 3rd branch of the trigeminal nerve. My dr told me that if the tumour ever grew to affect the 1st branch also, then I would experience double vision. Im sure your father must have had an mri scan or regular scans? But I am sure the double vision is caused by whatever damage has occured in the trigeminal nerve which causes trigeminal neuralgia rather than a medication he has taken for some time now without problem. Hopefully someone with more experience will reply as I havent taken the medication I just know that damage to the 1st branch of trigeminal nerve causes double vision.

Hope you get some answers soon

• Posted

Hi Sam

So sorry to hear your dad is suffering from this hideous condition. I can't say I've ever had double vision but I did find with the epilepsy medication that it made me feel like my eyes were slower to track around a room than normal. Made me feel awful, sluggish. Has anybody given your dads employers information on this condition so they may understand it better? I really do wish I could help. I send my good wishes to him. Just for info I am taking an antidepressant tablet for TN and don't experience the side effects of the epilepsy medication. Maybe they can look at a different tablet for him?

Paula xx

• Posted

HI, Yes, I did experience the same thing. I was on several anti-seizure medicines and Lyrica and now Gabapentin..I see print Ok for about 2 minutes and then I get double vision. Is this similar to your Dad?
  • Posted

Hi - I had MVD surgery 5/2/17 and the only complication I had was pain in my right eye for 2 days and horrible double vision (vertical, horizontal and slanted) with extreme light sensitivity. The neurosurgeon said he never saw this side effect before??? The opthamologist said it could take up to a year to resolve if it did at all... It almost destroyed me for several months - couldn't drive or work but is getting better (3 months later and new glasses - prism). I can drive during the day but not at night when my eyes get tired. I was able to return to work. I truly consider myself lucky as I have not had any more TN pain at this point. So sorry to hear about your dad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.