Anybody feeling weird on Propranolol??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi 

My doctor prescribed me just 10mg of Propranolol 3 times a day for anxiety just over a week ago, and I'm feeling absolutely awful!

All week I've felt a bit spaced out, spoke to a nurse at my GP surgery who suggested i cut down to twice a day. 

Yesterday afternoon, I took a turn for the worse. My hands and feet went cold and numb, felt flu-like symptoms, loss if appetite, and completely spaced out and feelings if panic that I was going to pass out. Then headaches and weakness. And this is only 10mg!! 

Spoke to the GP over the phone who said to stop taking them immediately and I should feel better today. I don't- I feel the same.

Has anybody else had the same side effects? They're really frightening. I feel horrible! I'd rather have the heart palpitations I had in the first place! 

Please help smile thank you. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I started on 40mg twice daily on Saturday. Yesterday I was completely ' off my head' as though I'd had a bottle of vodka or something. I had to be driven home from work and I just went to bed. I was completely zonked until about 9.30 last night. Today I have reduced my dose by half. Feel better but still slightly dizzy. I'm taking them for migraine. I was on Atenolol before and never felt like this but the migraines returned so that's why I had to change.
    • Posted

Reading the symptoms sheet, they don't seem to mention these feelings at all. I feel weak as a kitten today.was an effort just to make a cuppa this morning. 

Feel for you if you're on 40mg of the things!

• Posted

Hi

I was presciribed propanolol as a migraine prophylaxis, I went on to 80mg and was like the walking dead, totally out of my skull and couldn't concentrate on anything, work was a nightmare.  After a month my GP dropped me to 40mg, same symptoms, no improvement, dropped to 20mg, yet again no change, in the end he took me off them and onto a totally different drug, which is working perfectly.  You have my sympathy, they are horrible drugs.

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback. I was worrying it wasn't these and something completely unrelated, but that helps. 

Glad you've found something that works for you. 

• Posted

omg yes i feel horrendous been taking 10mg 3 times a day but couldnt stand it so cut down to just once a day and still feel as bad been taking it 6 weeks visited dr today as i was feeling really spaced out and dizzy and just not myself confused as well and vivid dreams feel horrible my dr said to wean myself off them to see if i feel any better i hope so this feeling is scarey are you feeling any better now you are off them as i see this is a farely old post xx
    • Posted

I ended up having panic attacks afterwards, so for me, they started a whole load of issues. I felt better about 4 days after coming off them (the weird hot and cold sensations stopped). I still have dizziness but I think this is because of my anxiety and the sertraline I'm taking for that. 

But I was very pleased to be off those. I won't take Beta Blockers again. Thought I was going to pass out, but I never did. So try not to worry if they make you feel like that. Hope you feel better soon smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.