Anybody get periodic ct scans ans or d dimer tests?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a PE in august of 2014. I have been ofd xarelto for over a year now i sometimes get weird pains in my legs. I am extremly worried about getting another PE. Mine was supposidly caused from my birth control which of course i am no longer taking. However i feel like my doctor never does anything to check and make sure thag everything is ok. Do yoi guys get annual ct scans or d dimer tests or ultrasound for legs for DVTS? I know my anxiety gets the best of me.. im seriously thinking about going back on my blood thinner as crappy as they made me feel just for the peice of mind my anxiety is going to drive me crazy.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had a DVT 3 years ago and was on Xarelto for a year after which my doctor took me off of, since my DVT was gone.  I didn't want to get off Xarelto because I was afraid I would get another DVT. Well in July I was diagnosed with a DVT and bilateral PEs. 

I go to the ER about 3 times a year. After my DVT was gone, I would still get weird feelings on my leg and my leg would also swell. They always do an ultrasound. Each time I never showed as having a DVT. 

So that's what I do. I just go to the ER, since they have all the medical equipment needed to check me out. Like in July when I went, it turned out that I had DVT & PE, they were able to immediately treat me and save my life.

Now I will be on Xarelto the rest of my life.  I am ok with that,  I feel better knowing that I won't get a blood clot again. 

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

I'm new to pulmonary embolisms so I don't know a lot about them, but here is what was explained to me, Mine started off as a DVT in left calf muscle and ended up in both lungs, initially being treated for a strained muscle as it fitted in with what I was doing at the time.

I have been told it depends on what type of clot it is, the size and the position it is in your lungs, I have been told I will be on blood thinners for life, I was originally put on Xarelto but had a reaction to it so it was swapped over to Pradaxa,  my cardiologist is handling my PE's and he informed me that I wasn't really on the right medication for my type of blood clots, I should be on Warifin , he has ordered a couple of tests, one of which I have just had recently, A VQ Lung scan, now due to another condition that I suffer I'm in emergency a fair bit, I was in emergency 2 days after the scan and the on duty doctor asked if I had been followed up in regards to the results, Kind of hard considering I had the scan on a Friday and was in emergency 1am Monday, apparently there is a discrepancy found, obviously nothing for them to worry about otherwise I'd of had a call from my cardiologist by now, anyrate, I went off track a bit there, smile In the last 2-3 weeks I have been experiencing back pain, chest pain, more pronounced breathlessness and dizziness also my left leg has started to swell up again and is sometimes uncomfortable to walk on, not sore to touch but sore if you know what I mean.

Now the answer I got to the above is that it is highly unlikely to be a recurring PE as I'm on blood thinners and that prevents anymore from forming. Maybe so but I'm not really comfortable with a doctor saying they can't return, I believe anything is possible. In fact  2 nights ago my breathlessness triggered off a panic attack, it's been ages since I've had a panic attack, I soon got that under control, I have to take strong pain relief to stop the shoulder, back and chest pains. I take endone.

• Posted

Yes ive had a few ct scans on my chest and ultra sounds on my legs because i thought i had another one but everything came back normal. You just have to learn to live one day at a time. I know its hard but it will get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.