Anybody out there who is NOT on any meds because they can't tolerate any of them

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have tried every class of BP meds since I was 25. At 25 it was 170/110. I am on no meds. My cardiologist says my heart is fine. I am now 68. Am I they only one who is not on meds and needs to be because of HBP?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I take 5mg of amlodipine with no discernable side effects, but when they add another medication (I've now tried 3 different ones) I get all kinds of effects.  The strange thing is my BP was 180/110 when they put me on the med, and although it dropped, it crept back up again, prompting the need for another tablet.  This one makes my BP drop (I've had it as low as 90/69) and when I don't take it I'm at 130/100.  I had no symptoms until it peaked at 180, when I got splitting headaches and chest pains, which is what prompted me to go to the GP in the first place.  Did you not suffer the effects of HBP?  Do you monitor your BP regularly?

• Posted

I don't suffer from any effects of HBP. I don't monitor my BP at home because of my OCD. I will obsess about the pressure. So it is only at doctors office that it gets checked.

• Posted

Hi Gary, I have had similar problems with BP meds; however, I did not develop BP problems until in my 40s. I did not ever take the meds regularly for years so as side effects developed I did not realize my additional medical problems were being caused from the meds.

Now at 62, Ive decided with my doctor’s agreement to discontinue the meds because my quality of life on them is so awful when I take them.  My cardiologist recently scheduled a echocardiogram and my heart is fine as well.  In the last several years, I’ve had yearly EKGs, a heart cath and several other med tests that could not explain the reason for my constant symptoms.  Now that I have not been taking Amlodipine (primary BP med) for a little over a year, most of my symptoms have subsided.  

My cardiologist had me try others but I always experienced negative reactions. Some or most of my problems were related to digestive discomfort, sleeping, extreme fatigue/lethargy, depression and the most scary was confusion/memory impairment to the point of not being able to complete sentences.  My memory has improved but I wonder about long term side effects.  Occasionally I struggle with words, but nothing like when I was taking Losartan.  

I’ve completely changed my diet and now use intermittent fasting (IF) because I need to lose the excess fat which I believe will help provide better control of my BP.  So far so good.  Ive been able to get my BP down as low as 127/88 over the last few weeks.  Ive experenced some higher readings like 150/103 but they are not as consistent as before I stopped eating sugar and added IF.   The readings are going down.  I also walk every day at least 30 minutes or most days an hour and swim twice a week.  

Ive been a little nervous not taking the meds but l have began to feel so much better without them.  I have to remind myself that all the test results did not show any problems so it was the meds causing my problems.  ...hope you find your pathway to improved BP without the meds.  

• Posted

Gary, I’ve been on so many different  BP pills that I’m losing count.  Terrible side effects from all of them apart from Losartan though it fails to control my BP!  Every time my renal consultant adds an additional pill I get unbearable side effects - itching, bowel problems, reduced sodium levels leading to unbearable fatigue/low mood.  Have you tried Losartan - my pharmacist said he hears the least side effects from patients on Losartan.
  • Posted

Hi Gary

I’m not on them because they nearly crippled me, I had excruciating pain in my legs and feet on Ramipril, so I decided not to take them at all. I feel absolutely fine, no problems with my high BP. 👌

• Posted

Hi gary im taking nifedioine 5mg and im feeling weak and lightheadedness since itook the med and blurry vision as well my bo normal was 140/90 they gave me meds.. maybe that time im not on the proper diet and no physical activity. Now im doing the proper diet and excersice my bp would go down 116/70.. wish i could stop the med cause i dont like the side effect and just continue on my diet and excersise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.