ANYBODY!!!PLEASE READ, I NEED HELP WITH MY BROTHER!!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since the 3rd grade my brother has been told he has a mental disability; so they say. He is 12 years old now and I feel as if they, the pshcologist and teachers, have blowen this out of porportion. I am tired of them constantly telling me he is not able to handle the same level of learning other children are. To quote the school staff as my bother, "...not being able to handle it..", it is degrading and he is starting to believe what they are telling him. I will admit he does have problems cocentrating and is easily distrated by certain things, but what kid doesn't at his age; especially during school. I myself, as a current student, understand that school is not the most exciting thing. But this does not allow that they misdiagnose my brother, and put in places where he does no belong.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello smile I can't help with your brother's teachers, but I have huge experience how to improve nerve system and calm down worries. My son has autism. Try hippotherapy. For 12 years old boy it will be interesting.

Teachers have to let him know the timetable, even every small thing.

The third main: magnoflex bed pad. This thing helps my son very much. He become more resistant to stress and sleeps very well. (I think, it will be magnoflex dot co dot uk).

Another thing: have you checked your brother's digestive system? Many children with autism have a leek gut, so they can't have calm behaviour and be concentrated, because they feel pain! Gluten and casein free diet can help in this case.

I hope, my knowledges will be useful for you, and you are welcome to ask questions, I'll try to tell more. wink

• Posted

I have a brother who got a lot of help as a kid and it really paid, off so I don't know.  I was sort of jealous that he got help and I did not as I had disabilities too but they just said I was lazy.  I think if you feel this strongly, I would talk to your parents and the folks are are telling him he can't or won't . . . those are very hurtful things to say to someone, and I believe we can and will if we have a mind.  Keep fighting for your brother with integrity! you are awesome! 

• Posted

My son has an IQ of 130 and Aspergers, ADHD and all that crap. School was impossible for him. It was a nightmare.

What he needs is someone in the school system to advocate for him. There are special counsellors who can modify his individual learning plan and have it on his school record so the school board must comply. I am in Canada so I only know our system. There is a thing called letter of accommodation that allows his schooling to be adapted to his learning style.

For instance, my son never had homework. He just couldn't do it. Computers were used as much as possible because they kept his attention better than books. He was allowed out of classroom when he felt overloaded mentally.

What his teachers are saying is that he can't learn with the way they teach. He needs a different teaching style that they cannot or will not provide. Don't let it end there. By law your brother is entitled to an education tailored to his needs. The trouble is finding it.

If someone doesn't keep pushing for him he will fall through the cracks. There is help for him somewhere in the system. Make it your mission to find them. Pester them. Follow up. Ask all the questions. Save his life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.