Anybody taking 40mg citalopram?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya all 

I haven't posted on here for a while and I actually am thinking of coming off the meds completley. I have been on 40 mg for 4 months now Dr said I will need to be on 40mg for atleast 6 months before I can come off. I know that I will have to decrease rather than go cold turkey but I want to know if anybody else has done this and of your expierence smile 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am on 40 just got on it 7weeks ago

Why are you stopping ?

Is it not working?

• Posted

Hi. I was on 40 mg for last 3yrs and 20mg before that. Ive just came off it and i was taken off too fast. I went down each week from 40/30/20/10 stop. Initially i felt fine then few weeks after stopped completely i was in hell. I had umpteen withdrawal symptoms mostly vertigo and nausea. Head fog. Shaking. Anxiety. Feeling of bugs crawling under skin at night. Insomnia and so many more. I joined this forum and it was good to know i wasnt alone. It takes time for your body to get back to normal. Some sites said 3 months some longer so i just had to take each day at a time. Its now been about 6/8 weeks since stopped and its been a long journey so far. Everyone is different and will experience things better or worse than others. My advice would be if you are coming off it then take it slow. If you come off the way i did then you may well suffer withdrawal hell. Good luck
  • Posted

Its best to stay on meds for at least a year to experience the full benefits.

Yes I've just come off meds and have taken the last year doing so (my personal choice to string it out that long).  I decreased by 5mg at a time going from 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 1.25.  I bought a pill cutter and a crusher and did it that way.  I had no withdrawal symptoms at all.  I came off once before, 2 years ago, and did 20 / 10 / 5 and had withdrawl then.  Do it slow though, spending a good 1-2 months on each decrease.  Doing it as slow as you can is the best way.

Don't go cold turkey at all.  You'll be very ill and may have to return to the meds to combat it.

• Posted

Hi Niketa. I'm in the same boat but plan on doing this real slow. Gonna try cutting down by 5 mg's at a time fo 6-8 week period. Gonna fallow Katecog's advice. I statrted 4 days ago and I feel crappy. But I plan on soldiering on until it's completely out of my system. Absolutely hate feeling like this but oh well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.