Anybody taking hydrocortizone steroid instead of prednisone?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I saw my regular dr yesterday and she said I simply have to get off the pred. because I am still gaining weight.  I tried for a month to eat well, and I went to the dr thinking I had lost at least a pound.  No, I had gained 9 pounds, three pounds from 300!  So yesterday and today I have relied on the hydrocortizone which he endocrinologist prescribed so I could reduce the pred.  I feel the pain when I do more than a few minutes of house chores, but do OK if I just walk easy and rest a lot.  I'm still crying when the pain gets to me, but if it doesn't get worse than this, I could do without the pred maybe.  Anybody have info on this?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Oh Debbie I'm so sad 2 hear of your woes! I've only been on prednisone 4 about 1 mon. (Now 9.5mg), but I've gained 4 lbs and my eating hasn't changed at all! I don't understand how that happens. Actually, I thought hydrocortisone was a topical cream. I'm confused. Is it also an oral med. to be used instead of prednisone? I know this isn't being of help, but keep reading and posting as this is an informative forum with very caring people!

• Posted

You gain weight when on pred partly because of fluid retention - eating a lower salt diet can help that a lot. It isn't just not adding salt to food - it is also stopping eating processed foods which contain a lot of salt.

You also gain weight because pred changes the way your body processes the carbohydrate you eat. That also contributes to people developing steroid-induced diabetes. When you eat carbs the blood level of glucose rises to a high level and triggers the release of insulin to lower it. The glucose level falls quickly, leaving excess insulin. The excess insulin turns the glucose into fat deposits - and you gain weight, mostly in particular places: around your midriff, on the back of your neck and round your face. In addition, pred makes the liver release spikes of glucose into the blood - and exactly the same thing happens. It all contributes to weight gain. You can reduce it to some extent by cutting the amount of processed and simple carbs (what many people refer to as white carbs) that you eat. That also helps reduce the salt in your diet so it is a win-win situation.

Hydrocortisone is a drug, just like pred, and it is the form that is used a lot in creams for topical use - but it also comes as tablets. The effect of the oral sort only lasts a few hours so you need it more often if you are trying to use it instead of pred, the effect of which lasts from 12 to 36 hours so once a day is mostly enough. 

• Posted

It's so frustrating for me because this website does not tell me what group I'm in. So I don't know why you're taking the prednisone but I cannot believe that you're family doctor would rather see you hurt then to take medicine that would control your inflammation. Inflammation is bad for the body and it is my understanding that inflammation is far worse than weight even at your weight. I understand that at almost 300 pounds you are overweight and there are definite health problems that can arise from it. But the same can be true of inflammation in the body. I think if it were me I would move my business to a rheumatologist who has a better understanding of Prednisone and inflammation in the body and the damage it can do then does your family doctor.

• Posted

You should be able to see which forum you're on by looking to the top of the page, just under the Patient banner.  I can read Home/Community/Bones, joints and muscles/Polymyalgia Rheumatica

• Posted

Hydrocortisone is a shorter acting steroid so while you would take it 2x per day for encouraging adrenal function, if you need it for pain control too (which, after all is why we are on pred) then you might need it 3x daily. I do know one lady who has managed her PMR using HC but it does mean quite high doses. One lady with PMR was switched to HC and had bad side effects with it so got the endocrinologist to switch her back to pred where she did much better. And potentially - HC has the same side effects as pred.

Have you tried cutting carbs drastically? Perhaps not a keto diet which is high fat, no carb, but less than 30g useable carbs? That is a VERY small amount of carbs but allows a decent amount of salad and above-ground veg although you do have to choose food carefully but it has worked for a lot of people on pred.

I can't remember what dose you are on - but the use of HC is only going to hels get off pred once you are below 10mg. If you are getting off pred then you will have a return of symptoms - as you are already finding. If that is going to happen anyway you can reduce your pred dose quickly anyway.

And like amkoffee - I think a more realistic doctor might be a good start. 

• Posted

Hi both my doctor and rhymi are pleased I lost 7.5lbs in 3months and I am on ten mags of pred ruducing to nine. Don't let them brow beat you 😀

• Posted

Thank you all so much for writing.  It isn't so easy to change doctors, especially in a relatively small city.  Plus my regular dr is also worried about the pred causing weight gain.  My one friend seems to be the psychiatrist - I see him briefly every few months for my depression meds.  Well, I posed the question to him would it be better to be crying all day and lying on the couch in pain or would it be better to take the pred and feel half way normal?  He said I needed the pred.  I was so surprized and pleased I could hardly talk.  But he did say I had to lose weight, 8 pounds by the time I see him again in four months.  I tried so hard all 1 month and then weighed at another dr appt - gained that 9 pounds!  Oh dear.  Eileen, I eat a lot of tv dinners, that are probably full of salt?  I will have to look up a no carb diet; I don't know what it is and if I can do it.  I am very iffy in the kitchen, don't like to cook much because it hurts to stand up and rummage around, plus I just like to eat and be done with it.

• Posted

Sorry Debbie - but TV dinners hide a multitude of sins! Mostly salt and carbs and poor quality ingredients.

Have a look at this site for a simple explanation and very easy to understand info about fruit and veg:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

• Posted

Debbie its not rocket science losing weight, just whatch what you eat no tv dinners, eat fruit if you are hungrey raw vegs, and like someone said to me, use lettuse for a sandwich instead of bread, YES i know its hard, i put on three and hald stone when i first went on pred nearly four years ago, but now in total have lost one and half stones, and yes i have my bad days, But you really have to look at your eating habits, i wish you the best as it is not easy, some one on this forum will be able to help you more i am sure. GOOD LUCKcool
  • Posted

Debbie, it is always so disturbing to hear of someone who is more or less accused by their doctor of not having enough willpower when it comes to losing weight.  It's pretty much accepted by dietitians now that the issue of weight loss and gain is far more complex than "willpower".  We know that our own bodies can sabotage our best efforts.  One thing I bang on about is the need for us to modify our gut bacteria so they are in better balance.  If we crave a certain food it's nothing really to do with our brain but more to do with what the particular population in our gut wants.  So altering that has been proven to alter what we consciously want to eat.  I don't think it takes very long, although the first week or two does involve conscious willpower as the demanding little critters are denied their sugar or carb fix, for example.  I'm not saying this is what you need to do, just suggesting that there may be other reasons for your dilemma.  If you can find a competent person to help you design a meal plan which is doable and attractive to you, but will help the small travellers which help digest your food to become a bit better balanced you might find this helpful.  This is only one small part of the puzzle.  I wrestle myself with the issue of social isolation and I really do believe it's an issue which will shorten my life if things don't change.  One reason I'm in the process of uprooting from my home and moving (albeit not very far).  So, diet and companionship, two things to work on.  You can do it!

• Posted

I’m sorry Debbie about the problems you’ve having.  I’ve been on pred for 2 years now except for about 2 months last summer. I have a gray rheumatologist who understands about the pain and allows me to adjust the dose as needed.  I’m going to try three low carb diet and see if I can see a dietitian. I do have a suggestion.   There is a website, grow young.com, that consists of low stress exercises, chair and standing, meant for seniors.  It’s amazing how you can get your heart rate up exercising in a chair.  There is a free section with many exercises and some diet information. There is also more in a section that you need to join.  You can lose weight with this program, just a thought........

PMR is a miserable condition, you need a doctor who understands the pain........

• Posted

Thanks, Janet, and everybody.  I am going to eat up my week's supply of tv dinners and then not buy any more.  That may force me to eat the vegetables that I keep buying and not eating.  Ha.  Today I feel like if trying to lose weight doesn't work and not trying, why not eat what I want.  Just one of those days.  Now for some chocolate milk...

• Posted

Stop giving your gut sweets and refined carbs.  Pretend it's a recalcitrant child who won't eat healthy food, and just don't give it anything which isn't healthy.  You will be surprised how quickly your insides will adapt and how quickly your cravings will subside.  But you will have to use tough love with that tummy of yours.  All the best!

• Posted

LOLOL....I feel your pain! Keep your sense of humor...it makes everything a little less painful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.