Anybody try Quetiapine?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys. I've been advised to try Quetiapine, marketed as Seroquel. I'm already on Bupropion and Venlafaxine but I'm being weaned off the Venlafaxine as both seem to have stopped working for me. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of such, would be grateful to hear your experiences. I am doing my own research on and know that it is an anti psychotic...thanking you all in advance. Julia 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ive been on Quetiapine for 1 year now. I take 12.5 during the day as needed for anxiety, and 25mg at night to help me sleep through the night. I own several business's and have lots of work stress/anxiety. This medication has worked well for me, I am not on any SSRI's as I could not find any that worked for me. 

This medication can help calm your anxiety and even helps level my mood so Im not as depressed. Wonder drug for me. Could not function on the level I need to with out it. 

Hope this helps you

J

• Posted

Hi Jeremy1979. Thank you for your reply. I have been on a lot of the generic anti depressants and most just seem to stop working after a while. Beginning to think they are all like this. Your reply is very helpful. There is a lot of info out there on the Quetiapine and a lot of it is positive. I guess I can only try. Thank you. Julia 
  • Posted

Hi Julia, did you start the Quetiapine? If so, what dose and how are you getting on? I was prescribe 50,g to take at night but have been too scared to take it
    • Posted

Hi Milliemoo, no I didn't. I didn't do enough research into it and some of the reviews I read were very worrying to me. Went back to MH yesterday and told them. Been given 5 new options, all with strange names so just reading about them, one at a time. Venlafaxine has been cut from today to 37.5 and Bupropion is being cut from 450 to 300 on Monday. So really worried about what's going to happen with Venlafaxine withdrawal. I've had one already and it was horrendous but my cut was 150 to 75 and then stopped. This time stop from 37.5 and see how I go with that. Been provided with extra just in case I struggle. One of my meds to research is called Nuvigil. I'm reading some positive things about that. Another is lithium which appears to be my docs favourite. It comes up every time we talk, but that stuff scares me. I've taken so many different types over the years and coming to conclusion they are all the same, some work for a while, most stop. Anyway, I appreciate the contact. Let me know how you go. I've had major depressive disorder for so long, with huge crashes. Doc thinks I'm more bi-polar than depressed. I just want a life, some life. You know to be able to get up and not want to sleep for days on end. To want to do things, walk dogs, stare at nature, that sort of stuff. Mandymoo, I'm not going to tell you to try it, trust your own feelings. If you don't want to take it, then go back to Gp and talk more. Let me know what you decide. Good luck. Regards, julia 

• Posted

milliemoo not mandymoo. Sorry! 
  • Posted

I was on Quetiapine for about four years, have just come off it (and that wasn't easy!!).

At the time it was prescribed I would have said that Quetiapine saved my life so I have mixed feelings about it. Other than that it was a drug that had lots of negative effects for me such as weight gain (not too much, I was really careful BUT for someone with "disordered eating" as I am it's distressing to have that appetitie increase - you don't know when you are full!!), sedation and removing any feelings about anyhting. Happy, sad etc all gone - just replaced by being flat.

I hadn't realised how much it had affected me until I actually started to come off it - suddenly I had feelings and actually started to care about life again!

I'd avoid if possible.

• Posted

NO to LITHIUM . bad bad bad for me my family couldnt recognize me anymore.

I went off it myself!  Ive been on Quetiapine for 2 years because my husband snores. I kid you not.  He said Im the one with the problem, not him so I resort to taking sleeping pills and this does the trick. However, I agree it has caused me to have huge weight gain. I dont want to be fat, i want to ride my bike etc. But sometimes i just dont have the gumption? lol for lack of better words I am diag bipolar, manic depr, but im afraid i wont be able to sleep. Anyone have any suggestions? was taking 50mg Quetiapine, took myself down to 25 because I hate taking pills. honestly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.