Anybody with a tremor made worse by alcohol?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi folks,

New to the group, so saying hello!

I have been experiencing a fairly mild tremor for the past year or two. This is a tremor of the hands, but I also feel generally shaky when it's bad and my voice gets wobbly.

I know doctors often ask what affect caffeine, alcohol, and stress have to try get to the root cause.

I was always under the assumption that alcool was making the tremor better for some reason - perhaps I was simply relaxing and not noticing it as much.

I gave up drinking for a month (just as a health practice) until yesterday where I drunk wine at a dinner party.

Much to my surprise, the tremor, which had improved a lot during the abstinence period returned after a couple of drinks.

As it had not been bothing me recently, this came as a big surprise.

I know that the conventional interaction with alcohol and tremors is that it makes it better in the short term but worse the next day. I haven't found any information on what a tremor exacerbatede by alcohol could be caused by.

(BTW, this is an essential tremor. Ie, I don't experience it at rest).

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Depending on age it could be another condition not really associated with Alchohol.

Explain what is happening to your Doctor 

How much drink do you take ?

• Posted

Not an awful lot.

Maybe a half liter measure a three to four times a week.

I've had a pretty decent neurological evaluation already and nobody really seems to be too bothered by anything.

I guess I should be reassured by that but thought this particular symptom was particularly odd.

• Posted

Depending on age the amount of drink does not seem to be aproblem.

I hope all goes well for you

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.