anybody with FM get muscle twitches (fasciculations)?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I've only been posting on these boards for a week or so. Thanks for the opportunity to ask a question.

This is mainly for people who already have a fibromyalgia diagnosis and don't have any other known conditions that could be causing symptoms.

First, a bit about me. I've been healthy all my life, with very little to complain about. I went through a very rough time earlier this year, with chronic stress, a major loss, and decreased nutrition and sleep. About 6 months ago I started having pain all over, often for no good reason, and sometimes the pain came and went. It was in muscles, joints, and felt like it was running up and down my arms and legs. My feet became sensitive and painful, so that after standing for just a few seconds, I had to sit back down... but then my butt got sore from sitting, and so on. I also stopped being able to sleep well, my heart rate went up, my mood went down, my memory and concentration got impaired, I felt clumsy, I lost weight despite eating very well, I got heart palpitations, bladder symptoms, IBS, muscle twitches all over, and I was extremely fatigued from the smallest things like brushing my teeth. The ER found nothing wrong with my heart, but their limited tests didn't do much to reassure me. My GP brushed me off for the most part. A neurologist did an EMG (needle probe in my muscles) and noted the muscle twitches but said he saw no evidence of neurological disorder. He told me to get my stress level down. Ironically, that stressed me out, as I could tell SOMETHING was wrong, and everybody was just telling me to chill out.

As far as bloodwork, my thyroid is putting out a fair bit of T3 and T4, and my TSH is low but not low enough for a diagnosis. My TPOab is about 10 (despite being on a gluten-free diet). My blood sugar and cholesterol tends to be on the high side, perhaps pre-diabetes, but also not enough for diagnosis. Electrolytes are normal, red blood cells are a bit down, and there was no evidence of antibodies indicating lupus, Sjorgens, or connective tissue diseases. My B12 is normal. I'm negative for H Pylori, Lyme, Hep, and a few other nasty bugs.

Without much help from doctors, I've done a lot of research. I take Magnesium citrate and vitamins B, C, and D. I use acetaminiphen and ibuprofen for pain relief, just enough to take the edge off. Ashwaganda root powder before bed helps me sleep, and it's good for overall stress levels as well. I get a little bit of moderate exercise every day, careful not to push it, or I end up in worse pain and have to take a couple days to recover. My diet has improved greatly. I'm vegan (plus free range eggs), almost totally organic, gluten-free, and very little processed food or sugar.

I'm a little better than I was at the worst point, which was July and August. I need a little less pain meds, I'm sleeping a bit more at night, my energy level is quite improved (but still not normal), my mood is better, and my heart rate isn't as fast. I'm slowly gaining a little bit of the weight back. I still have some fatigue, some trouble sleeping, some anxiety, some bladder symptoms, some brain fog, and the muscle twitches continue unchanged.

My question is about muscle twitches (fasciculations). Do you also get them, and if so, what are they like? Mine are quick contractions of just part of a muscle, and can happen anywhere on my body. Anywhere I could contract a muscle voluntarily, a twitch can happen there. Some places seem to be "favourites" (like calves, under my eyes, shoulders) but they all end up twitching at some point. Sometimes they'll be quiet for a few minutes, sometimes I have about 1 per second. Sometimes the same muscle will repeat for a few minutes (or hours), other times it's totally random and spread out. They SEEM to be a little worse when I'm more stressed out or tired, but it's hard to be certain. Sometimes they're large and pronounced, other times they're smaller and faster, like a vibration. When in my fingers or thumb, they often come across as a hand tremor, which is unpleasant. Sometimes they keep me up, or wake me up too early.

I've read fasciculations are a part of Fibromyalgia, and I've also read that they aren't. In the absense of quality medical attention, or even a confirmed diagnosis, I'm left wondering if I've got FM, or something else (like a neurological disorder).

If you have FM, and nothing else that would cause fasciculations, could you please tell me about them?

Thank you! smile

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello! i found this while researching my symptoms and it sounds like alot of them are so similar! I had GI issues start around christmas of 2021 (i have crohns and attributed it to that) however the gastro ordered bloodwork which came up normal with no markers of inflammation. they did upper and lower scopes and so no indicator of active ibd and they wound up diagnosing me with IBSD due to no other explanation. The issue subsided seemingly on its own after about 4 months. Then November of 2022 i had dental work done and a few weeks later i started experiencing tingling sensations on my legs, face and left shoulder. sometimes it would even feel like cold water droplets were being sprinkled on me. i also started to have really bad jaw pain that was mostly on the left side but sometimes on the right. it was so bad i went to the ER thinking i had some sort of infection. everything came back normal and there was no sign of infection. this went away after some months but then May after having chicken pox, i had chronic back pain begin accompanied by the strange tingling sensations. i also noticed my ears felt very full. for a few days when i would wash my hands any cold water felt super icy on certain spots and would linger. then june 2023 i started having fasciculations that started in my abdomen, it felt like a baby kick so i took a test, negative. soon thereafter, i began having them in random places on my body at random times. Sometimes they increase in frequency where i have them several times a minute in different locations and other times i will go minutes without having any. i hear thumping in my left ear which i think could be spasms inside my ear. i started getting really worried about the potential of a serious health issue. then i woke up one day in august feeling extremely weak and sore, i cant do normal tasks that i once could without feeling exhausted. My right hand seems to have a worse tremor randomly and i wake up early in the morning from internal tremors and fasciculations. when i go to sleep at night i am jolted awake by my own body. this can be normal but the frequency its occuring is extremely unnerving. The Drs dont know whats wrong with me because my ANA is low so no sign of lupus and my Rheumatoid factor is low as well, i have normal potassium, magnesium, vitamin D etc. Ive been referred to a rheumatologist and a neurologist and am waiting to have MRI'S done. The fasciculations are one of my biggest concerns at the moment due to them being a hallmark sign of ALS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.