Anybody with stage 3?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been told that's what I have now.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dixie, 

I am in the lower portion of third stage. I am on oxygen 24/7 and can't walk very far, so I either use a rollator or a wheelchair. My doctor told me to try to wean off oxygen if I find my oxygen sats are good range when sitting or inactive, but use oxygen only for activity. So far, I am on level 2. What is your situation regarding your stage 3 and COPD?  

• Posted

Also, what medications are you presently taking?
    • Posted

Hi  Brenda. I was really doing well even with severe copd until my son died in March 2014 and I think maybe my inactivity and depression had a lot to do with my breathing problems. I was on oxygen then only at night and was able to move around well and take care of him. Now I'm on oxygen all the time and can walk very little.  I am on spiriva ,dulera, albuterol nebuluzer,theophylline, and seem to have not more than ten days without exacerbations. Using then antibiotic and prednisone. I truly believe it must be true about getting sick after a death of a family member since I was hospitalized with gall bladder surgery twice with bleeding from diverticulosis requiring four pints of blood. Odd I was not ever in the hospital except for having babies til last year. Anyway it may be that I have just not moved around enough. My husband took care of my son for four years prior to his death so it was not unexpected. I have really not been inactive even tho I was diagnosed with have severe copd until this past year. Not a spring chicken but functional. More than now. 
    • Posted

Dixie, so sorry to hear about your son's passing, and I also agree that grieving is the most stressful of stresses, and can cause great damage to the body. Actually, you were probably grieving some while your son was alive too, since it was not unexpected.

I find light exercises very helpful in giving strength and much more too. I like to do at least five minutes of walking in place (in front of a chair), and also do five repetitions of 5 stand-up's (sit and stand, and repeat), in front of my chair.

Other than than, the other exercise is Pursed Lip Breathing, and just ordinary house work. I try to keep being active too.

I do all these exercises at least 2 times daily, and it helps. I like the 5 minute walking in place, since it reminds me of a treadmill, but for me, is safer, since I can sit down immediately, if need to. I also like it since it helps get me ready for the six minute walk they make me do whenever I do the Pulmonary Function Test each year.  

If I become blue, or have blue days, I wont allow myself to sink, and let go. I don't like the disease controlling me, or robbing me, in any way, shape, or form. My goal is to control the disease...lol  

My medications are, Spiriva, Symbacort, Prednisone, Montelukast, and others for heart and blood pressure. 

Sorry that you had diverticulosis requiring four pints of blood! Also, I have had my gall bladder removed about ten years ago, and it was the best thing that could happen. I had excruciating burning pains all through my mid body due to the diseased gall bladder that was way past it's due date to be taken out..lol. I felt instantly better after waking up from laproscopic gall bladder removal surgery. :-) xoxo

• Posted

Boy I did too!!  Same lapro  surgury. Mine was overdue too.  My friends had lapro hip replacement and boy she did well too.  I'm much better today. Just gotta get a better attitude. Working on it!
    • Posted

I have never heard about lapro hip replacement..that sounds great! My husband had hip replacement surgery about five years ago, and he loves his new hip today. No more pains ever again. I am glad you are feeling much better today.

I am the same way, since I resent that I quit smoking 25 years before being diagnosed as stage 3. But, I take full responsibility for it, since, I must have damaged my lungs 25 years ago, and now older age has set in my lungs, and the damage is just now showing itself. The way we suffer, and the way it changes our lives, what a way to pay a price. But, I am doing much better handling it, since I think it is the adjusting that I had to get use to, my new life, so now everyday gets more easier to cope with!

• Posted

That definitely doesn't seem fair. I smoked a long time. I'm really thinking a lot of my problem is asthma. I had this really bad as a child. Seemed to have outgrown it as a teen.  So lots of my problem is my own fault and I know it so I really feel guilty complaining .  I never fooled with anything but cigarettes so at least I can feel smug about something!!  Most of my college friends fooled with pot but not me or my husband. Have you been diagnosed ever with asthma?
    • Posted

I have never had Asthma, but at first, because my cat scan showed no tissue flaws, my pulmonologist stated that he thought it was 'severe Asthma'. My cat scan looked flawless, but the Radiologist wrote, 'Mild Emphysema, and possible IPF'.

I can't understand why my Pulmonologist insisted on diagnosing it as, 'Severe Asthma,' but he stated that it was, due to having severe stage on my PFT, and he couldn't see any damage to my lungs on the cat scan.

One thing good though, is that he definitely insists that I do not have IPF either, which is a big blessing. But, recently he changed my diagnosis to, 'Mild Emphysema, with Severe Obstruction'.

I can't understand why he changed his opinion, but he did. At first he said I have severe asthma, and lately he say's I have Emphysema with severe obstruction.

Maybe he was tired...lol. He has recently retired, so I will be visiting with a newly assigned (woman) Pulmonogist during my next visit in three weeks. I will see what she says. I hope she will be a very good Pulmonologist! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.