Anyone alone willing to come off Olanzapine to help each other daily?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Are you on Olanzapine or Diazepam? Are you sick of the side effects? Are you alone?

Then please share advice on coming off drugs and think of alternatives like counselling, CBDs, mindfulness and other natural methods. I have been on olanzapine for nearly 20 years and they are killing me off, with diabetes, seizures, weight gain, low blood platelets, depersonalization, hernia and gallstone. I am currently reducing my diazepam from 15mg to 14gm a day. I have given up smoking and still drinking alcohol. fr dot sturt at live dot co dot uk. Together we're stronger. Thanks!  

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi Francis, Margaret and others.  i am so glad I have found this forum.  I am 37 years old and have been suffering from zyprexa withdrawal after having been on 10 mg for 2 months.  I am so angry I was forcibly put on this drug but there is no use being angry so I am simply trying to recover and get off this drug asap.  

I stopped taking zyprexa 10 mg 7 weeks ago cold turkey when my psych instead put me on abilify 10 mg.  I stopped taking the abilify about a month ago and the withdrawals have been horrendous.  I have read stopping cold turkey is highly unrecommended due to the withdrawals but I feel like I have come so far to turn back now.  Many of the heavy withdrawal symptoms including the severe panic attacks and anxiety attacks have subsided, but the insomnia is still pretty strong.  I am lucky to get 3-6 hours of sleep with the help of melatonin, exercise, 

Chamomile tea, prayer, meditation, and trying to my best to avoid stress which triggers the worry, anxiety, and panic attacks.

I hope you guys are doing better than before.  Thank you for creating this thread.  I have no intention to go back on this drug or any psych med (don't want to trade one problem for another), but am hopeful the insomnia will go away eventually.  

much love and thanks,

• Posted

Hi Kate and others,

I am now 21 weeks off olanzapine and am feeling a lot better. But sleep is still an issue I get around 6 or 7 hours a night. Sometimes now I feel overwhelmed and really have to keep myself mentally strong which is difficult at times. Once off meds then you have to be able to stay mentally well on your own so having exercise, diet, rest, prayer, meditation, reading, understanding friends and family etc to help will be of benefit. I feel i am in the post stages now which is still hard but different. Good luck and keep moving forward.

• Posted

Hi Bridget,

Regarding your sleep, 6 to 7 hours a night sounds like a dream for me.  Can you help me understand how you got there?  Did you have chronic insomnia after stopping olanzapine?  That is the one symptom that is still really bothering me and I do not see an end in sight which is starting to worry me.  Can you give me and others suffering from insomnia coming off this drug any advice or information that might give us some more hope?  How long did it take you to start sleeping again? 

I really appreciate any helpful information or encouragement you can offer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.