anyone been on oxytetracycline for perioral dermatitis?

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi, i hope someone could help me. i've just been diagnosed with a suspected case of perioral dermatitis (a rash around the mouth, including under/around the nose a.k.a POD) and have been prescribed 2 months worth of oxytetracycline tablets, 4 a day. i notice it had helped a lot of people suffering with acne, but i was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and/or been given these drugs...did they work for you?

it's such a depressing thing to suffer with, i've had it for around 5 months (on and off)...i was given a steroid cream at first which helped a bit but then made it ten times worse. i was then given ketaconazole cream (for yeast/bacterial infections) which got rid of around 95% of problem...ofcourse, at the time no-one had mentioned POD so i contined to use make-up which has now flared the rash once again. tryed the cream again but this time it hasn't worked. after seeing yet another doctor, she said it could be POD and like i said, has given me oxtetracycline and said i won't see an improvement for around 4 weeks. sofar, taken the tablets for just over a week....and it seems to get better, then get worse....i don't know where i'm going wrong as i've made life-style changes to hopefully get it better (e.g. changing to a non-flouride toothpaste, wearing oil+colour+purfume free moisterizer and sacrificing make-up all together!).....

would appreciate any experiences or advice in this area. thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed oxytetracycline a few years ago for a mild outbreak of stress rosacea and the symptoms disappeared within a week or so. I did not get another episode for a few years. When I did get another episode I was prescribed another course, which again cleared up the patches very quickly. I had no further outbreaks and no problems with the antibiotics themselves. Go for it!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with POD at 14 years old. Various visits to GP and hospital took months for someone to realise what it was. I started on the Oxytetracycline and it completely cleared the POD. I am now 27 years old and still suffer from periodic bouts of POD – currently experiencing one right now, hence how I found this forum! Although it’s an antibiotic, I just take it as and when my skin breaks out. Sometimes I don’t need it for months, other times I don’t need it for a few years.I keep my repeat prescription from the GP and just order it whenever I feel I need it. I don’t know how else to control my POD, is it skin products, food, stress, seasonal, anything else? I have no idea. I am wondering though if I will ever be completely free of POD and if I will be on the Oxytetracycline for the rest of my days!! Although I am pleased to hear of other people also having to take it for many years, it’s not just me! I have never encountered any side effects. I think the only important thing to bear in mind is not to take it during pregnancy as it can discolour the baby’s teeth.
  • Posted

I was told by my doctor 2 weeks ago that i have POD and have been prescribed 8 weeks worth of Oxycetracycline tabs. i have been taking them for two weeks and so far no improvement infact the spots are wose than ever at the moment! but having read the information leaflet it explains that it is unlikely to see any improvement for approx 8 weeks. But now i am worried because i have only been given 8 weeks of tabs so are the spots just going to re appear after i finish the tabs. I have no idea what could have caused the POD to start, if it is POD? as after my first visit to my GP i was prescribed Dianette (the Pill) for acne !! I have also tried helping myself in all other way ie taking multi vits and eating fresh friut & veg i cant to much more than that !!!
  • Posted

Hi All, I found out I had PD in July this year. This was after visiting my NHS GP four times and being given steroid creams, which I now know were feeding the infection and making it worse. Eventually after months of suffering and not wanting to leave the house, I paid a lot to see a private dermatologist, who prescribed Oxytetracycline and told me to stop using all creams immediately. He couldn't tell me exactly what brings it on, bt sid it can be stress related.

It took around 3 weeks to start to see an improvement. After four weeks the rash had pretty much disappeared. The skin around my mouth was still redish and eventually died down.

Unfortunately a few days ago, I noticed the spots starting to come back. I called my doctor and immediately got a prescription for Oxytetracycline again. I can't bear the thought of it getting that bad again.

• Posted

Hi I have just returned from the doctors with a couple of months course of oxytetracycline for my POD. It has been on and off for quite a few years and I am getting so sick of it!! What cleansers, moisturisers etc do people use to try and reduce it?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.