anyone been prescribed amitriptiline for IBS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive been prescribed amitriptiline for my IBS..... has anyone else tried this? I really am at my wits end with the colicky pain and discomfort so willing to try anything now sad 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hiya. I was prescribed it for pain due to acute dyspepsia and gastritis and it was very good. It does knock you for six though so maybe start it tonight if you have nothing planned tomorrow as it made me very groggy in the mornings for the first week or so.
  • Posted

Hi. I was advised to try amitrptilline & buscopan by my gastro consutlant.  i have colitis,  bile acid malabsorption, & ibs (d) ( i take separate meds for the first 2).  both amitryptilline & buscopan are what the med world call "anti cholinergic" drugs. i had 2 doctors explain this to me: these meds make the part of the brain that controls digestion/bowels slow down, so in turn should help to slow down bowel movements. i had a camera pill endoscopy last year which showed i had fast transit of the camera through my digestive system which partly explains why i have frequent bowel movements & often diarrea.  since being on both of theses drugs my frequency & diarrea & pain have vastly improved & i have so much more control of my bowels than before i started the meds.  i used to get more pain the more bowel movements i had(upto 9 bowel movements a day & often diarrea). i now have on average 2-3 bowel movements a day with far less urgency, & much less diarrea & because i am having less bowel movements daily i hardly have any tummy pain & if i do it is mild.  i started on 5mg for a few days, then 10mg for a week, then 15mg for a week, then upto the prescribed 20mg. i take it at night which is important. while i was getting used to the dose over the first few weeks, it did make much more groggy & tired, but this wore off to a degree; i just now feel more tired than before i was on it, but this is a small price to pay for having bowel control back & being able to work again. i just make sure i get adequate rest when i feel i need it & don't beat myself up for having a lye in to re-charge me a bit-what i was like before was far worse.  i now only take 2 doses of buscopan a day (was 4 doses) & i am still doing fine with bowel control. i do not take the buscopan at bedtime when i take the amityrptilline as i find for some reason i have trouble sleeping when both taken together, but the ami alone at bedtime gives me no sleep trouble. hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.