Anyone been taking Flecainide

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wonder what to make of this as I have been on bisoprolol

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've just checked this med on  patient uk. Maybe it would help for you to seek out this info. 

I haven't any personal experience of this med. I have permanent a/f and was given biso, which I eventually had changed to atenlol. Both have given me so much trouble...side effects! With GP permission..I reduced the atenolol to 25 mgs....I felt better....but still some horrible side effects. I've been weaning myself off this b/ b with awful withdrawal. Just this week I've stopped it completely...without asking my GP ( not the most helpful or sympathetic,or even willing to listen). I'm now suffering more withdrawal...horrid! BP is up to 118 bpm but BP seems ok. I'm going to stick it out...suffer the raised pounding and just hope it improves. 

Do you have AF or any probs with the meds? 

• Posted

Hi i was just wondering as you are permanant af could you not have ablation? Does this mean you are always in af? I had af but was in the early stages and had ablation, it did seem to have worked becAuce i know how to trigger it usually and everything i did didnt seem to trigger it. But lately i have had symptoms of heart is going into af and out within 2 seconds rolleyes . When im lying down seems to happen alot and when i try to talk loud. Told my cardiologist but they advised me sometimes af works and the circuit that they destroyed seems to make a path back and start kicking of af untill its a full on af. I think im going to have another ablation and hopefully would be out of this for good! I cant imagine how it feels for you as af is the most rotten arythmia everr!!!! Im only 26 and hope one day i will get rid of this crap and hope you do to!
    • Posted

I have the AF all the time. The worst part is the anxiety feeling. I keep a watch on my pulse and BP. When diagnosed I was sent to the cardiologist. She said ...meds...no mention of ablation. Since then ( I did as was told by GP), took the biso and rampril. After reading up on AF and suffering some horrible side effects, the biso was changed to atenolol. Same outcome....really unbearable side effects. I'm now off the atenolol...weaned myself off it over the past year! Withdrawal is really bad and yesterday the Palps were awful...today...not so bad just a puddled head. I think it's the adrenalin . 

Live not much choice. The meds don't work...well if they do...the side effects are so bad that I think I'll suffer the Palps! Touch decision but I don't have a GP who will listen or try to sort it out. It's a case of one size fits all. The alternative is to go private...but again after reading inf on here and the net...even that isn't reliable means of getting it sorted.

I really hope you can get it sorted ,you seem as though you've got a good GP/ consultant + you're young. I believe that mine was caused with never ending pressure and stress at work. That's what teaching can do for you!

good luck I will be watching your further posts.

• Posted

I had heart valve repair 2 years ago, was unable to take biso afterwards as I have diverticular disease and didn't agree with me. However after a couple of months of very high heart rate I started on lowest dose and took it last thing at night. No side effects and my pulse now down to normal which I feel is less stress on the repaired valve! I did have  the 'maze' procedure during the op which was supposed to correct my AF but this didn't work so am on warfarin permanently which is fine as my Mum had vascular dementia due to tiny strokes and the warfarin should, God willing! help with that. just have to live with AF, don't notice it at all luckily! Tbh if the procedure had worked I would have always worried the A F would come back and I wouldn't know!
  • Posted

I'm on both bisoprolol and flecanide, the bisoprolol couldn't stop all of my symptoms so the combination works for me.

I'm on 10mg of bisoprolol and 50mg x2 daily of flecanide

Haven't noticed any side effects from either

Charlotte

• Posted

If you have arytmias then bisoprolol is the best beata blockers on the market and yes i do take them.
  • Posted

Hi, I was on metoprolol for years and then they changed me to bisoprolol and subsequently added in flecainide. The combination definitely helped reduce the number of episodes of svt although I have still continued to get frequent runs. The beta blocker is the one with all the side effects. I can honestly say that I noticed nothing extra with starting the flecainide so hopefully you will be fine if it is being added to the bisoprolol. However, if it is in place of it then beware the beta blocker withdrawal effects that many of us have suffered/ are sufferering from!

• Posted

Have 19 years on flecainide with no problems. It keeps WPW under control at least. No side effects and hasnt stopped me from doing anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.