anyone been through this? newborn chronic osteomylitis - leg length discrepancy....

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi id like to know if anyone elses child has had this and there storys. To put it in a nutshell my daughter was born 10weeks premature and stayed in intensive care for 4 months. Whilst in there she got bacterial infection - staphylococcus aureus which turned to chronic osteomylitis she had surgery on her right knee to remove fluid and was on a long course of antibiotics etc. And now at 14 months old we have been told she has leg length discrepancy of 2 inchs short. She also has septic arthritis in the knee and we go in to see a bone doc on april 10th. This is a very short way of putting it theres alot more to it. Please anyone thats been through this help me out. Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear of your daughter. My story is "56 Years of Living with Osteomyelitis and its after effects Part 1&2" which you can read. I was young with the onset of Osteo. As your daughter will know no difference to living without the effects of Osteo she will take it all in her stride as I did and many other poor kids that caught it. Its a question of you don't miss what you have never had.

I sincerely hopes that she doesn't get too many after effects or suffer with recurrences of it. Mike

• Posted

I might be able to put you at ease, i had osteomyletis at 4 weeks old and septic arthritus. My parents were told that my leg would not grow due to the placement of the infection, however i'm now nearly 19 and nearly 6ft tall! I had my legs measured at maybe 15/16 years old and the leg that had the infection is now only two cm shorter, i rarely notice this, but in shoes i wear on a regular basis I have an insole to make up the difference

Hope this helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.