Anyone currently reducing venlafaxine? I would love to hear how you are getting on.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All

I am currently reducing both venlafaxine and feeling a bit wobbly! I am having nagging headaches, dizziness changes in appetite and slight stomach problems. and would love to hear how others are doing. 😊

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you the lorraine that was on mirtazapine ?
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

Yes good memory 😊I have been on both mirt and venlafaxine. I still take a crumb of mirtazipine! I have woken up feeling headache free, so hoping today will be an improvement on yesterday.

How are you doing?

Much love and thanks xx

• Posted

If i remember correctly you did get off the mirt. What happened ? I am interested as i plan to start tapering it soon.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

I remained well for 3 months then started crashing. I went back on half a tablet. I have managed to get down to a crumb without any issues. I found the first taper problematic in respect of stomach upset. The key is to do it at a nice steady pace. Small reductions 3 weekly did the job for me. What dose are you on Sarah?

• Posted

I am on 150mg of ven and 45mg of mirt. My mental health is quite stable. I plan to drop 10% every 4 weeks to start with.

So you felt better when you went back on the mirt ? I wander why you crashed after 3 months when you tapered. Why are you coming off the ven ?

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I really don't know myself. I am hoping that this time around all will be well 😊 in hindsight I think my depression wasn't truly lifted at that time as once I restarted mirt I was balanced again. (I was still on ven and hadn't started a ven taper at the time)

I am now down to 25mg ven and a crumb of mirt. Today I have felt really well. I really hope when you start your taper it goes smoothly. Here any time for you xx

• Posted

I am reducing but very slowly,I'm on 75mg XL capsule ,there are 6 12.5 tablets in each capsule ihave taken one out and have done that since November,in February I will take 2 out for3 months and carry on like that until I've taken 3out then ilhet a 37.5mg capsule from the doctor and stay on that for a while then do the same with that capsule, it's best to do it slowly

• Posted

Hi Venny

Thank you for replying. I am doing the same as you. I have been removing 1 12.5 every week. Yesterday was not so good but manageable (only because I stayed in bed lol)

Today I feel alert and headache free but it's only 8.22 am! Positive thinking and all that!😁

How are you doing today?

Much love and thanks xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, had bother with email today, sorry it's so late. Yes you will feel strange reducing Venlafaxine. I have the buzz in my head and feel bit sick. It seems to be a difficult drug to reduce and come off , from what I have read on this patient info site. I had to reduce my dose because of the problem with it not being available, long story. I hope you are reducing with Doctor supervision? Please let me know. I am not happy about VFX at all ! It seems to suit a lot of people but not me now as I have been on it far too long..Take care

• Posted

Hi Irene

Thanking for taking the time to respond. I 100% relate to nausea and heavy head.

How are you doing today? How far through the reduction are you. I do wish you a good day ahead 😁

Much love and thanks xxx

• Posted

I was on 112.5 venlafaxine for 6 weeks was feeling much better than had a weeks blip of feeling down. I went up to 150 for a week and realized it was to high. Only going 37.5 down back to 112.5 I had headaches lost my appetite and wired dreams. I will stay on this dose. Someone told me it can take a while to fully recover with lots of ups and downs.
    • Posted

Hi Lynn

Sorry for the late reply as just seen your message. How are you doing with your reduction? I am on my final leg and should be off both ADs at the end of this week. So far so good 😁

Hope you are doing ok Lynn?

Wishing you well xx

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Not planning to go on any other ADs unless I get this horrible illness again. How are you doing today?

• Posted

I have been on 112.5 for 6.5 weeks then tried 150 for a week but to strong for me and went back to 112.5. Does it take a while to feel good all day . Mornings are hard but feel better as the day progresses usually. How long till they worked fully for you. I heard it can take up to 5 or 6 months. Any advise you can give me would be appreciative. On here everyone seems get better quickly
    • Posted

Hi Lynn

It took me around 18 months to make progress as I tried various ADs that made me worse! Only when I got the combo of mirt and ven did I get better fairly quickly. It shouldn't take months to feel better , it sould be a couple of weeks once you find the right AD. This was my experience but im sure others would say to keep waiting. I wouldn't keep waiting I would only give an AD 6/7 weeks, if no better it may be worth considering a change. I waited 6 months on citalopram at various dosages and remained ill as it wasn't right for me.

Don't wait too long Lynn as the goal is to get relief ASAP.

Keep me posted xxx

• Posted

How high were you on venlafaxine and how long did you feel much better
    • Posted

Hi Lynn

I only went to 75mg and I felt better within days, but this was added to the mirtazipine I was already taking. The combo of both worked magic for me. I recall getting lots of hot flushes and sweats and feeling dizzy at times, that lasted a few weeks but it wasn't bad enough to make me worry. I have a weak threshold when it comes to discomfort, so it was straight forward for me. I honestly think eventually I finally found the right ADs that worked for me. In saying that, you mentioned you get a little better as the day goes on, I would give it another month and see how you are feeling. I think 3 months in total is enough time to give it. I personally wouldn't wait for 6 months for relief. I made that mistake! Please keep me posted on your progress.

Warmest wishes Lynn and I sincerely hope you get better really soon xx

Each day can be such a battle but stay strong and you will get there 100% ???

• Posted

I too am on mirt and ven. It has been the best combo for me. I was on just mirt but that did not help. I too did 6 mths on citalopram it was hell. I am on 150 of ven xr and it took at least 6 weeks to work with the mirt. I am alot better but want to start reducing the mirt cos of SE s

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.