Anyone diagnosed with gallbladder cancer following cholecystectomy?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had open cholecystectomy due to gallstones 04/02/17. Discharged 09/02/17. Was readmitted with fever (38.7 temp) due to cholangitis 16/02/17. Informed histology on gallbladder followed by CT scan shows I have a T2 N0 M0 gallbladder carcinoma. I am booked for liver section and other curative surgery 10/02/17. Research on internet suggests prognosis not good. Survival rates are poor. Just wondering if anyone has had similar and survived?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. I did not have gallbladder cancer but just did a little research for you.

T2: The tumor has invaded the perimuscular connective tissue (the layer between the muscle layer and the serosa) but has not extended beyond the serosa (the outer layer) or into the liver.

That basically means it's only on the outside layer. N0 means no nodule and M0 means no metasis or that it has not spread.

I read that low prognosis is due to cholesystectomy only but with liver resection the survival is much much higher.

I have high hopes that you will be just fine after a liver resection as it's just the outside layer and hasn't moved into the liver or anywhere else. Think positive!

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I am thinking positive. It would be good to share experience with someone who has survived this, however gallbladder cancer is quite rare so I suppose not many have been diagnosed and survived.
    • Posted

I hope someone on here can help but if not then speak to your doctor about your concerns as they have probably had other patients with this and may be able to give you more information.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your story  and let you know that we are thinking of you on here and wishing you all the best.

If there isn't anyone on this discussion thread try putting your comment on the Cancer thread and see if there is anyone on that even if not at least they will understand the worry and apprehension that I'm sure you have. 

Make sure that you write all your worries down so that when you speak to your doctor that you can tell him everything thats worrying you. I'm surprised that the hospital hasn't given you a number to call so that you can get more information and some support from the hospital in the interim time.

Please please keep us informed on how you are getting on, we may not be going through the same but we will listen and support you the best that we can.

best wishes to you xx

• Posted

I am so sorry to learn that you are going through this!  Please know that I am thinking of you and wishing you only the best!  

• Posted

Hello there, it is rather late and I was just getting ready to fall asleep. I was checking my notifications on this site and came across your thread. Then I lost it and have been searching through it for the last almost half an hour to try and find it. Can I just firstly start by saying, I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling right now. I can't say I've seen many posts on here regarding the big C in the gallbladder. Secondly, I know it's easier said that done, but please stay positive. Clear your head o all the negatives and carry on as normal as possible and don't let this beat you. Stay strong. If there's no one here experiencing the same thing, don't let that put you off. Because if not that, you will get all the support you need from many different lovely people. I am thinking of you, and really wish you all the best with this. Remember, stay positive and fight this. I'm sure you will be just fine. A little update from time to time would be great. Thoughts are with you and take care of yourself. All the best

Sonia xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your interest and kind thoughts. It's nice to know there are good people out there.

• Posted

Hello ?

There are many good people out there. I know how hard it is being diagnosed with this. Not this exact one and not me personally. But I went on a journey with my mum who sadly lost her battle just over 5 years ago. It's something close to me and although I wasn't personally the one who had it, it affected me just like I did. The best thing you can do is stay positive. Easier said than done I know but I know enough about the journey of it all to know it's the best thing you could do. I will be thinking and praying for you. Please do keep us informed of how you are getting on and keep the positivity at the front of your mind. It really does help.

All the best

Sonia x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.