Anyone else?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone else suffer regularly with Costochondritis? Apparently it is more common in people with FM. I’ve had it on and off for the past year and there has probably only been about 2 months in total where I haven’t had the pain from it.

I’m always getting shooting pains in my chest, it’s painful to touch, it’s exactly where my bra line sits so it’s constantly painful/irritating and first thing in the morning it’s near impossible to move as it feels like a giant elastic band around my rib cage. I keep being told to take ibuprofen or neproxen but I’m tired of popping pills all day and I’m now beginning to worry about the side affects of long term anti-inflammatory use.

I’m currently trying physio for it but it just makes the pain worse for me, what else can done if anything? :-( 

Plus it does my anxiety no good at all, chest pains scare me which may be why it’s not going away. 

Just another joyful symptom to add to the Fibro list but if I could eliminate just one then this would be it, it’s taking over my life now.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Chelsey, boy are you right. Just of late I have been suffering with terrible muscle cramps, right now affecting BOTH knees. They are so painfully sore that NOTHING I seem to try or do gives any relief. From, I'd say August '17 to December '17 (finally subsiding barely 2 weeks ago as of now) I suffered terrible pain. The pain was so severe that I'd break down in crying tears anywhere (both at home in private and out in public). I can honestly say that at my age (48/9) it would honestly seem to be like a shopping list full of illness / torment / worry / all-other-symptoms. No matter what life throws at me, I just seem to bounce rite back, only with each bouncing-motion I get weaker and weaker, OFTEN FALLING OVER AS MY BALANCE IS RAPIDLY DIMINISHING. 

If only there was something that I could take which would make me feel better, even only for one day, I'd try it.....

It's just that my body is so badly fu##ed up now, that I don't know where to turn to!!!!! 

My marriage of some 18 years has disintegrated rite in front of my own eyes to the extent that we now live apart!!!!! 

I have no friends to turn to turn to!!!!!

My GP is keeping me off work for the long-term!!!!!

I am completely, entirely, majorly, and undeniably beyond repair..... 

To hell with the glue, plasters, bandages, antibiotics, antidepressents, pain killers, [u]nothing works anymore[/u]. 

I am sorry for taking up your post, and I am sorry to say that costochondritis is real and hurts.

My best 'Partial relief' from the suffering was a HOT Shower, running over the affected area (as hot as you can bear for at least 15 minutes) followed by lying down wrapped up in a hot fleece or duvet then trying 'TRYING' to get some rest/sleep. 

You have my deepest sympathy (and empathy - I think) as is sent out to anybody else who is reading this.... 

Take car Chelsey and Stay Strong.

• Posted

So sorry to hear what this awful condition is doing to you! :-( 

Agree about the heat that gives a temporary relief, if only we could just soak in a hot bath all the time lol, there really needs to be some sort of breakthrough I’ve tried the painkillers, anti depressants and now physio but I just can’t see an end to it.

Wish you all the best x

• Posted

I was diagnosed with costo a couple of months ago. I was pushing in my chest for months trying to make sure I could recreate the pain. I could. I have stopped doing that. I also have neck, clavicle, and arm pain quite often. I can't take any inflammatory medication because of other things I have going on with my body. Stress makes it so much worse. I think mine was brought on by stress in the first place.

• Posted

That’s exactly like me Kim, I find myself pressing my chest all the time to make sure it definitely is what they say it is, which can’t be helping the situation so I should probably stop that now. Just can’t see an end to it, it does flare up with stress but there aren’t many days that it isn’t there, going to carry on with physio for a couple of months and see how that goes but it’s painful to do it in the first place x
    • Posted

I agree I'm going to a physical therapist too but I haven't been doing the exercises as much as I should.

• Posted

Hi 

Sorry to hear that you are suffering. It really is a horrible, painful condition.

I was also diagnosed last year and thought (perhaps foolishly) that it would go away and was only temporary.

I now have symptoms regularly and like you the pain began and still occurs across my chest and often along the  breastbone but also recently in my back which is horrendous!

It is common, I was told by my GP that people who get it think they are having a heart attack and go straight to hospital which I felt was a good indicator of just how distressing it can be and how seriously painful it is!

I had to give up working where I was as it was a stressful job but the job I have now is a little better but still causes considerable problems for me. Any lifting/ stretching etc can and will trigger it which makes daily activity really impossible because any 'exercise/activity' that pulls or stretches the muscles around the ribcage or chest in any way can and will just amplify the symptoms to such a point I become immobilised in pain.

I was also later diagnosed with fibromyalgia and IBS (which I believe from my symptoms I had had for at least 5 years before diagnoses! That's another story.) and this was on top of my existing osteoarthritis in both knees, my neck and my right shoulder (triggered by a bad car accident) and diverticular disease.

Anyway, anti inflammatories are ok short term but I believe that my tummy problems may have been caused by taking naproxen, ibuprofen etc. so you are right to be cautious.

I have needed to swap around my thinking and look very very carefully at my diet and nutrition. I now have cut sugar (a natural inflammation-causing substance) and increased incorporating anti-inflammatory foods into my diet (lemon juice, turmeric, apple cider vinegar, low sugar veggies and fruit (berries). I believe this has helped me a little although I'm far from finished with the diet modification angle. Here's a link to website that has helped me find out the basics of anti inflammatory foods:

https://draxe.com/anti-inflammatory-foods/

Also Check out Dr. Myhill's website: http://www.drmyhill.co.uk[/b]/ who deals a lot with chronic conditions with considerable success but her methods are totally uncompromising as arguably so is the diseases she treats! ME fibromyalgia, etc.

My stepmother has had the condition for years and there are two things she has found helpful which I can share in the hope it will help you.

Regularly gentle swimming (I mean gentle) followed by (and this is vitally important) a sauna, in fact there is no such thing as too many saunas where costochondritis is concerned as it fully relaxes the muscles, tendons etc. and should help with stress relief which is all good!

Both aquatic therapy and saunas have also been tested by some of the medical profession to significantly improve things for sufferers so that's worth knowing.

Also she got a clever friend of hers to make her a bespoke elasticated kind of corset thing which is a bit more substantial than the back support belts etc. you can buy as it covers the body from her waist to just under her breast bone but because it holds the upper body in one position it seems to have a really positive impact for her. I am currently considering this myself but it may take some making!

My New years resolution is to have more saunas, lots more saunas and lots more hot baths and showers. 

I know it's tricky to feel any hope or motivation to push past the incredible level of relentless pain you are in so on those days just stop, wrap up really warm (preferably thermals) if it's helpful and just be kind to yourself, let yourself off the hook and I really really hope you feel a lot better very soon.

Kind regards

G.

• Posted

Hi Gill, sorry for the delayed response!

I have been trying swimming and it had actually helped me with the “stretchy” feeling I used to get in my chest! I am still getting the sharp pains and is still tender to touch but I have noticed a slight improvement, so thank you smile 

• Posted

Hey maybe give this a try. CBD from Organic non-GMO Hemp. Comes in many forms like candy and capsules.

I recommend Either the CBD pain rub wich is CBD infused in a cold therapy cream, Also the CBD oil is the strongest most concentrated form, Helps with bodily pain mood enhance and just feelling better. No THC and does not produce a "Buzz", Only the medicine is taken from the hemp[CBD]. Give it a try and look around. Read the reviews and testimonials to get more info. Give it a try.

https://hempbombs.com/cbd-oils/?ref=138&campaign=Forum

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.