Anyone else been referred for a stress echocardiogram after a P/E?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just a bit puzzled as I have received a hospital appointment to have a stress echocardiogram in a few days time.  I wasn't expecting it and am now wondering why it has been requested and what it may show?   I am now almost 5 months post P/E and on warfarin for life.  At my 3 month check up I did mention some slight chest discomfort at times which previous doctors had put down to pleurisy or scar tissue but the consultant said it could not be pleurisy or I would be in more pain and scar tissue was unlikely at this stage.  He could not suggest a reason for this discomfort but did not appear very concerned about it.  I am just surprised to get this appointment out of the bue and wondered if anyone else had been referred for one and what the outcome was?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Dont panic i had to have this done as well as a lung function test, sometimes your heart can go under stress with the pe, some people do suffer with pulmonary hypertension after a pe. I was lucky and mine were clear of that, im clexane injections for 6 mths at the mo after having multiple clots in both lungs year after having a one and on warafin for 6 mths. The test dont hurt so dont panic hope you get on ok

take care

amanda

• Posted

I had chest pain 2 years post pe and was told it was scar tissue. At the time I had a recurrence of bronchitis (April-anniversary of the pe). Never mentioned any other tests. GP just prescribed an asthma inhaler!!
    • Posted

Hi Cathy

There seems to be little consistancy in diagnosis or treatment of P/E related issues...it's very frustrating!!

• Posted

Hi I had a PE in Jan 2015 as was sent for a VQ test and echocardiogram it's just to check if you any left over clots and scaring and to test your heart is not under any stress  I was left with scaring but my heart is working fine I am on Warfarin for the rest of my life and do suffer with chest pain from the scaring  it takes a while to get over a PE 

So good luck with everything 

• Posted

Thanks Rona and everyone else.  Had the echo on Saturday but I didn't have to do the exercise bit as it said in the letter!!  It was just the straightforward type of echocardiogram.  Got to sit back and wait now for the results....no doubt I will have to chase them up as usual!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.